Central RR of NJ Switchman's Shanty Restoration - Page 8 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > The Right of Way > North America
Forgotten your password?

North America Discuss Canadian and American Prototype railways.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #71
Don F
Engineer

Scales Modeled: 3 Rail O Gauge mostly scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post
The desk looks great Don, I love the patina.

Put a potbelly stove in it yet?
Not yet Ed, I've asked the guy who has it several times when we could install it, and this was back in August and September. On another note, I did get some period hardware for the windows. Our religious ed center was a former convent probably built in the 20's or 30's with all double hung windows. We had them replaced recently, and the contractor put the old sashes aside for me to get the latches. Hopefully, both projects will be completed in the spring. A friend is a retired reporter/editor of one of the local papers, and he asked me the same question, as he has wanted to do a follow up story on the shanty with the completed interior.
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #72
Don F
Engineer

This article was in a recent Citizens' Voice publication.
Development will continue this year at Anthracite Miners’ Memorial park
PAUL GOLIAS / PUBLISHED: FEBRUARY 6, 2017

A walking path around the perimeter of the Anthracite Miners’ Memorial Park on South Main Street, Ashley, is a key component of work planned for 2017.

Ray Clarke, chairman of the board of the Huber Breaker Preservation Society, said the path will allow visitors to spend some quiet time and reflect on the region’s anthracite heritage.

The society continues to develop the park.

While the historic Huber Breaker is gone, Clarke said kiosks will tell the story of coal mining: the men who went underground, and the wives and families who tended to the miners’ homes.

The breaker, which sat to the west of the park, was sold for its scrap value.

Clarke said the parking lot at the site, which can now accommodate about 15 cars, will be expanded.

Extensive landscaping is planned this year, he said, after flower beds were installed last year.

Railroad-related items will be completed this year also, Clarke said.

A switchman’s shanty that once sat in the Central Railroad of New Jersey yard near the breaker was rebuilt by Don Kane of Ashley, and a vintage coal stove donated by Leo Czereck of Wilkes-Barre Township will be installed. A track-side signal that once sat next to Ashley Town Hall will be wired and erected near the shanty, and some railroad tracks laid in the park.

Clarke said it is uncertain if one of the two coal mine cars donated to the park will be ready this year. One car is being restored by students at Wilkes-Barre Area Career and Technology School.

Previous improvements and installations at the park include the miners’ memorial, dedicated on Memorial Day in 2013, a walkway from a gate on South Main Street to the memorial, a sign that once marked the colliery entrance, a new flag pole, benches, and a replica of the powder house in which Blue Coal Corporation and its predecessors stored dynamite taken into the mines to blast coal seams.

The society’s work got a major boost when a $250,000 state Department of Community and Economic Development grant was approved.

“The breaker may be gone, but we are determined to complete this park as a testament to the miners and their families who struggled to survive,” Clarke said.

The society tried for decades to save the breaker and to create a unique memorial to the tens of thousands of miners who toiled in Northeastern Pennsylvania. That plan died when a U.S. Bankruptcy Court okayed the sale of the breaker and 26 acres of land to Paselo Logistics of Philadelphia.

History

The Huber Breaker, which opened in 1939, was named after Charles F. Huber, chairman of Glen Alden Coal Company. Glen Alden was the predecessor of Blue Coal Corporation. It replaced a breaker built in 1895. The Huber mine and breaker employed 1,700 people at its peak. The coal was sold throughout the eastern United States and most was hauled out by the Central Railroad of New Jersey, which had a major yard adjacent to the colliery.

Huber Breaker Preservation Society

• Huber Breaker Preservation Society is on Facebook and it has a website at huberbreaker.org.

• Volunteers are needed to aid in painting and landscaping this year. Individuals or groups interested can contact Ray Clarke at 570-824-3176.

• Donations can be made to the Huber Breaker Preservation Society at Corner Post Federal Credit Union, P.O. Box 1172, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18703.

• The society plans to hold its annual chicken barbecue on the Sunday after Labor Day at the Ashley Firemen’s Park. Money raised is used to pay water and electricity bills, he said.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:38 PM   #73
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Thumbs up

A switchman’s shanty that once sat in the Central Railroad of New Jersey yard near the breaker was rebuilt by Don Kane of Ashley, and a vintage coal stove donated by Leo Czereck of Wilkes-Barre Township will be installed. A track-side signal that once sat next to Ashley Town Hall will be wired and erected near the shanty, and some railroad tracks laid in the park.

Cool your name is in the history books now.
Great you have a stove, it will be a nice addition for the shanty.
Look for an old coal bucket/with a shovel and an old coffee pot?
Some used to have a wooden coal storage box outside too.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #74
Don F
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post

Cool your name is in the history books now.
Great you have a stove, it will be a nice addition for the shanty.
Look for an old coal bucket/with a shovel and an old coffee pot?
Some used to have a wooden coal storage box outside too.
Ed, we have everything ready, just waiting for the spring weather. I do have to take the outer window stops out, because I put the upper sashes in upside down. I also got window latches form our education center at church. It was a former convent built in the 20's or 30's We had the windows replaced, and the contractor, a parishioner and friend, saved some of the hardware for me. I am working on the model. It is going slowly, as I have made several modifications to more closely replicate the prototype.
Don