Need help building a covered G-Scale bridge - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > G / #1 Scale
Forgotten your password?

G / #1 Scale Marklin, Aristocraft, USA Trains, LGB model train discussion, indoor and outdoor.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Sweet Dreamer
Gang Labourer

Need help building a covered G-Scale bridge

I'd like to scratch build a G-scale covered railroad bridge. The main thing I need are the dimensions to use for the open ends.

I've decided to model my bridge artistically after the a covered bridge in New Hampshire name the Ashuelot Covered Bridge. I realize that this bridge is actually an automobile bridge. But there are many features that I would like to retain as I redesign this as a railway bridge.

I'd like to retain the basic color scheme, along with the pedestrian walkways on either side of the bridge. I would also like to retain the lattice work along the sides of the bridge. I'd like to be able to see the train as it is crossing the bridge so I don't want a fully closed tunnel bridge.

Here's another view of this bridge:

I realize that for a railroad the bridge will need to be considerably taller. I may even place separate roof panels for the pedestrian walkways since they won't need to be nearly as high as the actual bridge roof.

Here's a photo of an actual railroad covered bridge. I'm thinking of basically building a bridge similar to this, only with the open lattice along the entire sides and then with the pedestrian walkway near the bottom.

Two things I'm looking for right now are the following:

1. What size should I make the openings of the bridge to insure compatibility with most G-scale trains (I might end up selling a few of these bridges so I'd like to be sure they will work with most trains).

2. What size timbers should I use for the G-scale lattice work? Would 12" by 12" timbers be realistic? Scaled down to G-scale of course. Or should they be smaller, like 10" x 10" or even 8" x8"? What size timers would a real railroad bridge most likely use?

I'm having a hard time finding photos of covered wooden railroad bridges that have open lattice work on the sides. I found the following photo and these timbers look huge. At least 12" x 12" if not larger.

Sweet Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
sjm9911
Hobo for Life

Scales Modeled: O
Verry cool! I have a few g trains , though not running them. I figure you could check out a manufactures site and see dementions. Im really no help:-) some one will chime in! Good luck.
sjm9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #3
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
USA

Have you seen this site?

I put a search for Covered Bridge and 250 came up.
http://bridgehunter.com/scripts/sear...covered+bridge

I don't know if they will help you I don't have the time to look through the search right now.

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
USA

Not to many come up in a Covered Railroad Bridge search,
http://bridgehunter.com/scripts/sear...ailroad+bridge

Maybe something like this? Though a vehicular bridge, just add tracks?

147449-L.jpg

147451-L.jpg

Old 03-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

USA

You looking for bridge info the Bridgehunter site is the place to go.

Home page (for those interested)
http://bridgehunter.com/

Old 03-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

USA

Note,

Most covered bridges are fully covered.
Top and sides, though some had windows.
The first covered bridges were built to keep the snow off of the bridge.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #7
Sweet Dreamer
Gang Labourer

Thanks for the replies. I'm finding a lot of covered bridges for cars. But most of the railroad bridges I find are just boxes. On my layout I would like to have a fancy bridge. I'm not too worried about being prototypical correct. My model railroad is a "Fantasy Line" anyway.

Ed, the bridge you posted is pretty too. I can find a lot of covered automobile bridges that are pretty. But it's hard to find a pretty covered railroad bridge.

In the meantime the main thing I need is the G-scale dimensions the opening.

I found dimensions for a G-scale tunnel portal. It says 8.75" tall by 6" wide with an arched top. I can probably go with those dimensions and be safe.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
johnfl68
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO
For some more possible insight, search Google for "White Mountain Central Railroad covered bridge" under images there are a couple different ones for that bridge, along with more information if you are wanting to search more.

It was built originally in 1904 on the Barre & Chelsea R.R. in east Montpelier, Vt. White Mountain Central Railroad bought it in 1960, and over the next 4 years took it apart, numbered each piece, and put it back together near Clark's Trading Post near North Woodstock, NH.

The bridge now stands as the only covered railroad bridge still in active service.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
Gramps
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO then G back to HO
The recurring problem with G scale is that several different manufacturers use different ratios. There is 1:20, 1:22, 1:29, and 1:32. All run on gauge 1 45mm track. You will have a tough time with one size fits all if you are looking to sell these bridges. Also, I strongly doubt any railroad bridge would have pedestrian walkways. Good luck.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #10
Sweet Dreamer
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The recurring problem with G scale is that several different manufacturers use different ratios. There is 1:20, 1:22, 1:29, and 1:32. All run on gauge 1 45mm track. You will have a tough time with one size fits all if you are looking to sell these bridges.
Yes, I see that's a serious problem. I'll guess I'll just have to say what dimensions my bridges are instead of calling them "G-Scale" since it appears to be an ill-defined scale. I might go with the 1:22 scale since I think that's what my trains are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Also, I strongly doubt any railroad bridge would have pedestrian walkways.
Yes, I understand this and realize that I'll have to design my own.