MY NEW INTEREST: EUROPEAN TRAINS - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > OO Scale
Forgotten your password?

OO Scale Airfix, Bachmann Branchline, Peco, Dapol, Lima, Kitmaster and all other OO scale discussions here.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #21
Genetk44
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO and OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by time warp View Post
Genetk44, Are you holding to a specific era, or "winging it"? Thanks for the chronology, that is helpful. (I'm learnin' sumpin')! I've got to study some on the Break/ Brake van conundrum.
jlc41, Thank you, but yeah it's 4x8. Deception, you see. Close shots and lots of crowded in scenes break it up to deceive the eye. You may not realize how yours appears too others. It looks larger because as your work progress it tends to draw attention to certain elements. You don't see the edges anymore.
I'm not dogmattically sticking to an era per se. I tend to try to stick to the transition era between steam and diesel....basically GWR and Late Crest BR.....that allows me to run both GWR green and BR black livery in steam and the green diesel livery....but as you can see I also have a bit of modern EWS livery as per some goods wagons and the 66 aka Shed.

Just to grossly over-simplify...Brake van sort of equals our caboose...
Genetk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #22
time warp
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: Old School HO and British OO
Here's what I find:
Originally " break" van, should a wagon coupling(chain) break, allowing the rear section of the train to be manually stopped or halted.
Later "brake" van, after improved couplings, also providing for a guard, or watchman, at the rear of the train.
Guards van, see above, later eras I believe.
Question is, say on an era 4/5 train, vacuum brakes are in use. Guards van? Or, would it be permissible to run with no Brake van/ guards van?
Bearing in mind that said guards van also is in use to hold the train stationary in event the locomotive should be disconnected.
time warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #23
Cycleops
Station Master

If you're interested in the "crossover" period or thereabouts you might like to look at this news article. Dr Beeching was an advisor to the government who wanted to rationalise the railways. There were too many regional lines which were loosing money. Even spawned a sitcom in the UK.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ars-on-1787519
Cycleops is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #24
Genetk44
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by time warp View Post
Here's what I find:
Originally " break" van, should a wagon coupling(chain) break, allowing the rear section of the train to be manually stopped or halted.
Later "brake" van, after improved couplings, also providing for a guard, or watchman, at the rear of the train.
Guards van, see above, later eras I believe.
Question is, say on an era 4/5 train, vacuum brakes are in use. Guards van? Or, would it be permissible to run with no Brake van/ guards van?
Bearing in mind that said guards van also is in use to hold the train stationary in event the locomotive should be disconnected.
To be honest...I'm no expert on brake vans and their use or exact timeframe for phasing-out. Some of the guys at my lcal UK railway club are but not me.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #25
Genetk44
Dispatcher

More info on brake-vans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_van
Old 08-26-2016, 12:24 AM   #26
time warp
Dispatcher

Cycleops, I read the somewhat depressing article, thanks for the link. Informative.
I guess my model railway or railroad imagination always considers things to be perfect. That's why it's always summer on my layout.
Genetk44, I gleaned from Wiki that my era needs to always have brake vans. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #27
Wolferz
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: British OO and European HO
Glad you are enjoying the new bug, mate! I've always found the British and Euro trains to be more romantic. With world-famous trains like the Flying Scotsman and Orient Express that I'm slowly building, all I need is a permanent layout!
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #28
time warp
Dispatcher

You'll have to share some pictures here, Wolferz! I just wanted to have a couple of British steamers to enjoy, and Oh well.

I had posted here that I was looking for Hornby track for my OO stuff, not realizing at the time that it was Tri-ang track that I needed. Particularly since my Ivatt has old style large flanges that will not negotiate standard HO code 100 switches. So I purchased some from a fellow in Australia, and when it showed up here is what I found:

compare.png

This is the comparison between standard Code 100 track and what I have since learned is Tri- ang Series 3 track. Big difference in rail height and style as well as tie spacing. The next picture shows the radius difference. The Tri-ang is around a 16" radius compared to the standard 18" track on the outside. Now to scare up some "points", to see how they work out.

track.jpg

Last edited by time warp; 08-27-2016 at 09:02 AM..
Old 08-27-2016, 05:34 AM   #29
Cycleops
Station Master

That's odd, I would have thought code100 would cope with most UK wheel standards from the past thirty or so years. That Triang track must be ancient.

Funnily enough my recently purchased Roco German diesel doesn't like the frogs on my Peco code83 US turnouts so can't be that fine.
Cycleops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:00 AM   #30
time warp
Dispatcher

The Ivatt is the only one. It goes mountain climbing over every frog! My money would have been on the Class 36 to have more problems due to the wide wheels
Old track is right! I'd put it around code 125 plus. There is a fair amount of it listed on eBay including points and diamonds.
It's possible, not likely, that I have a little bit of an out of gauge problem with the Ivatt drivers. I'll have to check it should I ever get time.
You may have your work cut out for you on the diesel! I had one that I fiddled with for a few years before I found the trouble. OK now.