Snoqualmie Pass - Winter 1964/1965 and 1965/1966! - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > The Right of Way > North America
Forgotten your password?

North America Discuss Canadian and American Prototype railways.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
trainguru
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO, OO, and S & O at Christmas :p
Question Snoqualmie Pass - Winter 1964/1965 and 1965/1966!

Hello, name is Nikolaus Bautista, and I'm a long-time member of Model Train Forum, and a Milwaukee Road fan. My Grandfather even worked for them, for a time (more later on that). Right now though, there's something else I'm interested in.

A friend of mine, is investigating incidents involving the Snoqualmie Pass line, in the Winter of 1965. Specifically, some sort of collapse, and explosion in snowsheds/tunnels/3000vDC electrical system, near the pass, on either the rail line, or the roadway. I'm helping him out, and if anybody can shed some light on this, better yet, have any pictures from what I'm asking about, I'd be most grateful for the help. Thank you.

"Ayeeeee!!!" - says The Fonz

trainguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Bwells
Dispatcher

I'm sure you know this but it may interest others. It appears the Milwaukee road built the 2.3 mile long tunnel which was turned into a bike path.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Pass
Old 09-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
Bwells
Dispatcher

How about this one?

http://www.historylink.org/File/5127

Old 09-15-2016, 12:25 AM   #4
trainguru
Engineer

Bwells, wrong incident, wrong pass, and even wrong railroad (a true tragedy it was, on Stevens Pass, Great Northern Railway).

Old 09-15-2016, 02:01 AM   #5
trainguru
Engineer

UPDATE: Winter of 1964-1965, should be the correct time-frame.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
Chet
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Snoqualmie Pass has always been a problem, even in modern times. I work in operations for a trucking company and we have trucks going into Seattle all of the time. Yes, this was about railroads, but the general traveling public also has problems with this area. A few years back I-90 over Snoqualmie pass ws open for roughly 7 hours during a 7 day period.

The heavy snow that the pass gets causes quite an avalanche problem. The interstate can be closed for hours while avalanche control work is being done. I'm sure that the railroads face the same problem as the heavy snows effect everything in that area during the winter.

By the way, I am also a big Milwaukee Road fan. When I was growing up, I had relatives who worked for both the Milwaukee Road and the Northern Pacific in southwestern Montana. When I was a kid I was lucky enough to have had the chance to fide in the cabs of steam, diesel and electric locomotives. Stilll have relatives living in Harlowtown and Deer Lodge which were locations for major division points for the Rocky Mountain Division of the Milwaukee Road.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
Bwells
Dispatcher

The Snoqualmie pass is located in Kittitas county and is close to I-90 and at a 3000 elevation but the Stevens pass is in Chelan county and is close to US2 at a 4000 elevation. They appear to be different passes however the Stevens pass tunnel was electrified so I assume that is the one you are interested in. Where does the Snoqualmie pass come into play here?
Old 09-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #8
trainguru
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwells View Post
The Snoqualmie pass is located in Kittitas county and is close to I-90 and at a 3000 elevation but the Stevens pass is in Chelan county and is close to US2 at a 4000 elevation. They appear to be different passes however the Stevens pass tunnel was electrified so I assume that is the one you are interested in. Where does the Snoqualmie pass come into play here?
Snoqualmie Pass was how the Milwaukee Road got over to Seattle. They were still electrified in 1964 (remained so until 1972 or 1977). Stevens was de-electrified in the mid-1950's, and was the GN's route over.

Tags
accidents/disasters , milwaukee road , snoqualmie pass , snow , washington state