Model Train Forum banner

Well car truck/coupler replacement

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  lajrmdlr 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a set of 5 HO Scale Gunderson Double Stack 48ft Well Cars. They come as a set of 5 with only the front and last car having 2 trucks and 2 couplers. Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to convert the middle three cars to normal status on both ends? Thanks, Dan

#4 ·
Pics of the 'end car' truck and coupler mounting would also help.

But, it seems to me you would be severely limited
as to where to mount new trucks. Because of
the 'well' depth, it appears they
would have to be in the same place as the present one
with some additional plastic fabrication for attaching
the new truck. Since those are 'out riggers' you
would necessarily need to use truck mounted couplers.

The resulting car would, indeed, be a 'one of a kind'.
Don't invite any rivet counters to your layout.

Don

#5 ·
Why do you want to break up an articulated five unit well car? If you just want individual well cars buy them that way. If you can't afford new single cars sell the five unit car. Being articulated you'll have to a lot bashing to put trucks & coupler boxes on each well unit w/o them. Only one end unit has trucks on both ends & all the other units have one truck. Only one other unit has a coupler. Find some pix of articulated well cars & single well cars to see what they should look like.

#11 ·
danhi
Most prototype stack trains are a combination of single well cars & multi unit well cars. And there are usually more multi unit well cars than single well cars. Do Google searches for pix & videos for these types of trains to see the mix. Also check the Yahoo Group sites for pix & videos of your favorite RR(s). And if you can just go out & watch the trains yourself!

#12 ·
This is kinda long the lines of a question I had many years ago. I had a steam locomotive that I wanted to change into a diesel locomotive. That really took a long, long time and lots of money, then I had a whole lot of parts left over, so I made another steam locomotive and diesel out of them. :cool:

#13 ·
I recently purchased a set of 5 HO Scale Gunderson Double Stack 48ft Well Cars. Dan
What you have is one car w/ five well units. Look a each unit & you'll see each unit has the same car # w/ A, E, D, C & B (in that order) after it. This way the car has an A & B end like any other freight car. Those are the things you need to know being a conductor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.