Model Train Forum banner

Forum owners: Can you enable Tapatalk here?

6K views 45 replies 8 participants last post by  gunrunnerjohn 
#1 ·
I ran a search for this forum on Tapatalk and it was not found. Can you get with those guys and enable it please?

For anyone unfamiliar, Tapatalk is primarily a smartphone app but works on any small reader device with internet capability. It formats forums such as this for more convenient use on devices with small screens. Instead of bringing it up on the normal web browser, which works but is a pain because of all the zooming and panning required, it makes only the critical things larger and easier to click on. For on the go or laying in bed when you don't have your laptop. Makes it real easy to reply to threads from a phone too.

I have a list of three forums I commonly use at my tapatalk app on my phone. They use the same basic forum template as this website. I would like to add this one. The app also gives you a notification when you receive a PM from another member from any of your forums. I spend more time reading forums on my phone than the computer because it's quicker and I like the better sort features.

It requires the forum owner to do something to activate it.

#2 ·
short answer : no

long answer : nnnnnoooooooooooooo

Just jokes.
I would like to see it implemented, (and a couple other things too).just gotta get the right person excited I guess... *shrug*

Owning the forum is an investment, I think a few little improvements would make a nice gesture :)

#7 ·
Installing Tapatalk is pretty easy. Just uploading a few files and enabling one plugin.

As far as upgrading the forum software, I see absolutely no reason to do so. vBulletin 4 is not even remotely better than vB3.7.x and the new vBulletin 5 they've just previewed is a piece of junk. vB4 and vB5 both require substantial increases in server hardware and RAM just to handle the same amount of traffic.

About 4 years ago, the lead developers of vBulletin were forced out of the company and the result has been a trainwreck. As the Admin of several forums, I'm keeping them all on 3.7.x or 3.8.x and just biding my time until something new comes along that's worth migrating to. Those lead developers by the way formed their own company XenForo and wrote some awesome software, but then got sued by the new owners of vBulletin and now it's in lawsuit hell. Development on XenForo is halted until the lawsuit is decided so yeah, no reason to move anywhere right now.

#9 ·

As far as upgrading the forum software, I see absolutely no reason to do so. vBulletin 4 is not even remotely better than vB3.7.x and the new vBulletin 5 they've just previewed is a piece of junk. vB4 and vB5 both require substantial increases in server hardware and RAM just to handle the same amount of traffic.
I frequent another forum that runs 3.8.4, and they have a couple of very useful plugins that dont seem available for the version of vb this forum runs.

Depending on the "hassle factor", it would be nice to see a small upgrade.

1, for the couple of plugins that make life easier (op tag, tapatalk, another one that i havent mentioned but is still awesome)
2, it might fix the picture issue big ed mentioned
3, it might fix the issues i have while surfing on my phone. ie hyperlinks are not underlined

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.