Model Train Forum banner

An 1/16 scaled Union Pacific Heritage Unit..as you never saw before

6K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  mopac 
#1 ·
Two years ago I made my first locomotive as a full Lego scale model (A BNSF SD40-2, also on this forum), set to the relatively big scale of 1/16. It was an older type American Diesel-electric unit called SD40-2, made by EMD (Electro Motive Diesel). The warm response the model received encouraged me to build another one, and this time I aimed for a more modern type, also produced by EMD: The SD70ACe.

This one is a so called Union Pacific "heritage unit". These are a total of six SD70Ace’s which are painted in unique commemorative schemes which are meant to designate former railroads which Union Pacific purchased or operated over former trackage. Locomotive ‘UP 1989’ is such a “Heritage Unit” and is exclusivly painted in the colors of “Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad”, which Union Pacific acquired in 1996.

The genuine Lego model consist of about 27.000 bricks, and was built in 4 months. It is about 143 cm in length (56,2 inch), and weighs around 24 kg. The model was made from pictures and drawings found on the internet. It is fully detailed both, in, -and outside with modeled engine, electrical cabinets and cabin.

All decals were self-made as vector files, and printed and pre-cut at a professional company. Some retrofitted chromebricks are used. This is also the first time I have used lighting in a model.

I hope you like it!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thnx,

No it is 'scratch built'. It would be way too big to be a kit, and too expensive I guess. 27000 bricks is quite a big box. The whole thing is around 56 inches long, and weighs about 50 pound.

I collected information from the real locomotive through the web, and built it up from the first brick .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.