Model Train Forum banner

Southern pacific daylight 4449

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Brakeman Jake 
#1 ·
I went to steamfest in owasso mi in 09 to ride the daylight to Chicago and model SP daylight and want to know about the car after the tender? What it is , is this an auxiliary water tender or oil tender? And what type of car can I use to model this for my layout? And if need to know I model n scale.

#2 ·
If my memory serves me well,I've seen a video of 4449 a few years back where it was pulling what looks a lot like a "Veranda" turbine locomotive fuel tender converted to water.U.P."s 844 is pulling such a tender too.

Con Cor sold Veranda turbines years ago in N scale.They're not extremely rare as I've seen quite a few on Ebay so far but you'd have to buy the whole loco to have the tender.Some work is required to convert to DCC but they make an interesring add-on to a layout.I have one and like it,not a great puller though but decent runner.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply ,but the veranda turbine tender is to short and bowed or round , to say than the tender for secondary tender for the 4449 , as I have the original con cor tenders and also the new tenders that kato came out with for there 844 excursion set. This tender has flat sides and 6 wheel trucks and looks to be a little shorted than it primary tender. I had pictures up close but cannot seem to find them or the disk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.