Model Train Forum banner

Digitrax DN163L1B Issues

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Hutch 
#1 ·
Tonight I did my first DCC conversion. I bought the Digitrax decoders to fit the Intermountain FT units. Once converted the A unit works fine including my soldering of the headlights. However the B unit is not working properly. As soon as I put it on the track it took off fast and the wheels were even moving before I even got the entire engine on the track. I am using a NCE Powercab. No matter what I hit on the controller the engine will not respond. Everytime I put it on the tracks, it takes off and goes a little ways, jumps in reverse for a couple seconds and then goes forward as fast as it was before. When I installed it, I followed the instructions and it is installed in the correct fashion and the engine worked fine in dc mode.

#2 ·
One of two things. Either the decoder has not been wired correctly, or the decoder is bad. Do you have a programming track? If so you can pull off the CV's to see what they are reading (you can do this on your operational track but you are fully powered, which is causing you the problems). JMRI is a great application for this. I've set up a 3' test track to test and make changes.

#4 ·
golfermd: The decoder is wired in properly as it is held in and makes connection with screws on both ends of the decoder. I put it in the way that the instructions with pictures said. I do not have a programming track.

Hutch: How do I turn off analog mode? Do you mean on the decoder or on the dcc system. All my other dcc locos work fine on the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.