Model Train Forum banner

My extended layout project

14K views 71 replies 16 participants last post by  wiley2012 
#1 ·
Well, today I finished dismantling my existing train layout, as next week we'll be getting the new plywood extension and benchwork. The existing 4x8 piece of plywood is going to be used in this new layout. Here is a shot of the plywood all cleared up from the old layout, though I did set up a temporary layout so I can still run my equipment for the time being:

See less See more
#3 ·
This is the new track plan, in Stage 1:

I dismantled it because as long as we were going to extend the train table, it seemed to be time for an overhaul and there wasn't really any way to extend my previous layout. Plus this way, I can try out some new methods as well, like the aforementioned landscaping techniques.

#4 ·
We got the lumber today! We will then assemble the benchwork some time this week, and then I will get started on landscaping. I did draw where the roads will go on the existing plywood, and I also did a bit of test-fitting of some of the track to get an idea on how the roads will be positioned and such:

I have a feeling this is going to be quite a project...

#6 ·
Here's some more track-fitting testing I am trying, with the help of a couple clay friends:

I'm also planning on what buildings go where (the Bachmann station and pedestrian bridge are in temporary locations.) We still need to assemble the train table extension and apply a primer coat of paint before I begin, but that should be very soon. I now have all the track I need for Stage One, too!

#7 ·
Finally extended the train table!

Painted a primer coat onto the plywood, and am also adding the roads to them. I will be doing the landscaping some time this week.

Here are some shots of where I am deciding where buildings and accessories will go, along with some track test-fitting (in the photos they are not fastened down to the plywood; I am saving that for after landscaping.)

Where I'm installing my Tyco operating boxcar station and freight-unloading depot, along with my Tyco lighted yard tower.

I can now finally install that Tyco operating crossing flasher! (The lights don't alternate flashing; they just come on steady as the train goes over the sensor, but still a nice accessory!) I also put my Life-Like Snap-Loc station building kit here.

Tyco crossing gate (with nickel-silver track!) and lighted freight station. On the other side of the second track I will install a crossing signal and gate there.

My two Center St. building kits! I plan to maybe get a couple more, like that Furniture Store one, as I do have room for some more structures on this layout. For those unfamiliar, the Center St. building kits were made by Pola and originally branded by Tyco in the 1980s and early 1990s, then by IHC until the end of the 1990s.

These are the buildings I have so far on the extension. I also plan to set up a tunnel and a lake there.

#9 ·
Getting started on the landscaping now!

Something tells me I'm going to need a couple more containers of that green ground foam material... (Too bad Life-Like discontinued theirs...)

Dirt area for the parking lot to the Suburban Station that will be going here on the layout.

#10 ·
Since you are in need of additional landscaping materials
you might look into Activa Decor Sand sold in several
different colors at Michaels at 2.99 for a package 2 times
larger than the W/S foam. It is very fine sand and
works well with the W/S materials. It is sold as a '
potting 'soil' for fake plants.

I plan on using the black version for yard track ballast.

Don

#11 ·
A friend told me of an idea after I was done of course, he went around to various stores and went thru the trash bin looking for styrafoam blocks from packing material. He was able to get his hands on quite a lot. He then used these blocks to carve out his landscaping for his RR. When the carving was done some simple covering from paper towels coated in dry wall plaster completed his landscaping. All for a cost of about 10 bucks and a little effort. Amazing what can be done for little or no cost if we use our heads.

#13 ·
Tried the brown paint approach with the grass:

I will admit, it does look rather realistic!

I also decided to get started with laying the rest of the tracks. I kind of forgot how tedious the process can be with conventional snap-track (mostly when nails get accidentally bent), but it should be well worth the results.
For the hard-to-reach areas on the extension, I can temporarily take the plywood off, nail the track onto it, then re-install it.

#15 ·
And here's some more! Went to the hobby shop today and picked up more stuff for the project...

I've gotten some more landscaping done today...

(The track areas with no landscaping on them will have ballast applied to them.)

My new Woodland Scenics tunnel!

The progress so far.

#16 ·
Looks good:)
I have a very similar tunnel I bought, be careful about trying to turn the track through a straight through tunnel. I tried to but i found some of the longer cariages scraped as they came out:eek: so I wouldn't reccomend trying to turn through one!

#17 ·
Finally finished applying the landscaping (except ballast) to the original existing plywood!

As you can see, it is already looking much better than the old layout.
Though once the landscaping on the second sheet of plywood is done, I still need to get some new buildings! Probably a mix of old and new...
I also hooked the tracks up to the power pack, along with the blocking control, so I can even run a train on the inner loop! I also hooked up two of the switches as well.

#20 ·
Update time again!

An entrance to Roundpost Junction!

The Dickerson Station and Honest Larry's Cars are in business now!

Life-Like Supply House in the background, with the Tyco Crossing Gate and Atlas Gateman Tower.

Trees growing around the tunnel.

Tyco operating box car dump station and freight unloading depot, and Life-Like dumping station and lighted yard tower.

One of many grade crossings on the layout. It's not hooked up yet, as I need to get a good easy-to-use controller that will eventually work with DCC. The nonoperating plastic signal I will replace with a Griswold-style crossing signal from NJ International.

The new farm on the layout with apple orchard!

I set up a small piece of cardboard for the un-level section of plywood. I may decorate it with ballast or something.

The layout again, from an interesting angle.

#22 ·

Just installed this Life-Like flashing light storage tank...

...along with a swimming pool for the Tyco Colonial House!

Plasticville split-level house. I still need to paint the figures (I have to get more colors of paints, for that matter!)

Another overview showing the new stuff...

Added a fence and a few assorted buildings to the farm.

And here's some big news: this layout is going to shortly become a DCC train layout! I ordered a Bachmann E-Z Command DCC control pack and accompanying DCC locomotive (BNSF GP40, to match with my preferred railroad of choice for the layout.) I figured since I'm completely new to DCC, this would be a good way to start out before I eventually upgrade to something from Digitrax or similar. (I will get another DCC locomotive as well, and maybe buy a DCC-ready model so I can try installing a decoder myself before I try upgrading any of my non-DCC locos with soldering and stuff.)

#23 ·
I like the swimming pool:D
I have that exact same storage tank, didn't know it was from life like.
Looks good, only thing with the dcc is make sure your wiring is thick enough to handle dcc (higher current so you want thicker wire than your usual dc feeders:)

#24 ·
Finally made the big upgrade to DCC!

It arrived in the post right before I left for work, so I brought it inside, then opened it up after my shift and tried it out! Here's the locomotive it came with:

I am actually impressed by it. It seems as detailed as a Bachmann Plus locomotive from the 1990s, but with a typical mid-range motor (sort of like the Model Power all-wheel drive can motors, but with a better chassis.) It runs very well anyways.
Plus, it's the first BNSF locomotive on my layout! (Though the BNSF is my main railroad on the layout, I have mostly used separate ATSF and BN locomotives prior to this.)

My new control panel. The E-Z Command unit will only run the trains, so I pulled out a TYCO power pack (1970s style) for the switches and other AC accessories.) I'm keeping the MRC 280 power pack for if I ever need it again (and I'm sure I will, for any future DC runs and whatnot.)

The train's all hooked up!

I'm going to do some more toying around with the system pretty soon, and I will also soon set up an electrically-isolated siding for running a DC locomotive on the layout as well.

#25 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of DCC.

Just one suggestion. Your loco came with
the DCC address #3. The CD that came with
your EZ controller will tell you how to change the
address. I would suggest that you do that, So
that when you get your next loco, which will also
come NEW as # 3 you won't have a conflict.

I also suggest you do not use the #1. The system
defaults to #1 when there is any electrical fault.

I regularly run 4 and 5 locos at the same time
with my Bachmann DCC controller. So you have
plenty of power to add a few when you want.

Don

#26 ·
I just programmed my locomotive from #3 to #2! I even labeled it on the controller on 2: "BNSF GP40." I will generally label each locomotive I use, except for the analog locomotive on #10, because I will often vary which one I may use (though I don't plan to do so frequently until I build an electrically-isolated siding.)
I even learned how to control the lighting, so that the headlights on my GP40 are now on.

#27 ·
Looking good. :thumbsup:

Man, you have the grass everywhere! :p
Get the streetsweeper out and clean up your roads. :D

Unless that was the look your were going for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.