Model Train Forum banner

Controler size?

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Dan Pierce 
#1 ·
What size controller do i need for a simple outdoor layout with 1 train. Or to say it another way; what is the current draw for a typical fairly fancy locomotive?
I noticed that many of the controllers are only 1 amp. Is this enough? I also noticed that when you get up to 5 to 10 amps they are much more expensive. Thanks; Don

#7 ·
It came with the Backmann starter set. I'm going to keep the starter set inside for the grandchildren ( well maybee me also) to play with and have a completely different setup outside. I'm thinking 3 amps or more for outside.
I have a 12 volt 100 amp hour battery at the outside location that I could use. If I regulate it with a controller that would work. Then I need a controler that takes 12 volts as an input and has variable dc out. Don

#8 ·
Truthfully, you might be able to find a 3A bench supply cheaper than the dedicated train power supplies.

If you're at all into rolling your own, you can pretty easily build a controller to use with your 12V supply. Here's a link to a construction article and a diagram. You can just pick up at C2 from your battery since you already have a DC power source. The whole supply would be pretty cheap to build as well, and then you wouldn't have a battery to contend with.

1.25V to 25V DC Ajustable Power Supply

#10 ·
You can use the LM338 and a 5 amp transformer to do the above, and do not forget to mount the big regulator on a heat sink.

On another note, my LGB single motor engine will pull 6 cars on a 1/2 amp power pack.
With smoke and 8 cars, my 1 amp power pack works well.

Bigger engines (2 motors, smoke and lights need at least 2 amps and more if pulling a big load, so planning on 5 amps at a minimum is a good thing to do.

THe bigger USA Trains locos will stall at over 5 amps!!!! PA/PB for one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.