How do you organize your hobby tools/brushes/paints - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Painting, detailing and decaling
Forgotten your password?

Painting, detailing and decaling Tips, techniques, and discussions about painting, detailing or decaling rolling stock or scenery.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Its obvious you people never heard of "5S",where at the end of every day to you store everything in its place and clean up such that there is nothing on your desk.
Desk organization.jpg
I actually have some roll around drawers that I put most of the tools in. Paint I would like to get better storage for the small paint jars, but would need to clean off a shelf off. If I were to paint more I would definitely do that. I don't like the rotary storage for paint, so I would get the corner or rectangular paint rack, I've been thinking of using some short PVC pipe, either stacked or on end for storing brushes and other short stock.
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
Genetk44
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO and OO
I think this is pretty self-explanatory about my workspace...its relativly neat and tidy in this pic...I don't usually let it get much messier than this.

IMG_2180.JPG
Genetk44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #13
flyboy2610
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO, too blind and fumble fingered for N
We do 6S at work. I do it because I have to. At home it's more like "I know it's on the desk somewhere........"
flyboy2610 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #14
traction fan
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N
West My workbench area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouverneur View Post
I have an 8' Gladiator workbench with hardwood top, the requisite green grid cutting mat, and a lamp, but I need a way to organize my knives, tools, paints, glues, etc. I would love to see pictures of others' workbenches to see how they do it. Are there any decent pre-made products out there that I can use to keep my most commonly used tools handy?
Gouverneur;

I use rotary trays and parts drawer cabinets.

regards;

Traction Fan

Here's some photos of my work area.

Work Area overall clear.JPG

Workbench 2.JPG

Workbench right view.JPG
Old 03-20-2017, 12:54 AM   #15
MtRR75
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by traction fan View Post
I use rotary trays and parts drawer cabinets.
regards;Traction Fan
Here's some photos of my work area.
Impressive! But is there any room left for your layout???

Actually, I think I see a track running THROUGH your work area. Or am I hallucinating?
MtRR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 AM   #16
MtRR75
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
It has to do with the creative side of the brain. "Recently, a study conducted by the University of Minnesota found that people with a messy desk were more prone to creativity and risk taking, while people at cleaner desks tended to follow strict rules and were less likely to try new things or take risks."
When I was in graduate school, the professor that I worked was living proof of this. He was a brilliant person who figured out creative ways to test scientific ideas just by sitting in his chair and thinking about them.

But filing papers was a waste of time. The pile of papers on his desk grew steadily. Other professors stopped by to marvel at it and they debated when it would reach the critical angle when papers would start sliding onto the floor. But when he needed an important paper from the pile, he usually found it in less than a minute.
MtRR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #17
CTValleyRR
Station Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhawk View Post
Its obvious you people never heard of "5S",where at the end of every day to you store everything in its place and clean up such that there is nothing on your desk.
Not only heard of it, but have to do it at work. Ergo, it is NOT part of my hobby, as it would make my hobby seem too much like work.

I especially like the ability (at home) to just put down what I'm working on, and come back later to find everything exactly as I left it (unless one of the cats makes a pass through the area, that is).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #18
traction fan
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N
West You're OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtRR75 View Post
Impressive! But is there any room left for your layout???

Actually, I think I see a track running THROUGH your work area. Or am I hallucinating?
MtRR75;

No you're not hallucinating.Yes there is a track (future NP branch line) running just above my workbench. Yes there is room for my layout. The main part is off to the left of the photo.

Traction Fan