First layout - need constructive feedback - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Layout Design Forum
Forgotten your password?

Layout Design Forum Discussion resource for planning your dream layout, large, small or micro!

Old 04-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
DonR
Yard Master

Tho you don't have a complex yard you might
find it fun (and efficient) to use the diode matrix
turnout control system for your yard. You would have ONE button
in each track on your panel. Push it and all turnouts
in the route to the main are set. Very simple to
wire and not expensive. Requires twin coil turnout
motors.

Don
DonR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #12
Dreadnought
Brakeman

I would recommend eliminating the passing sidings in the yard and using that space for more yard ladders. Simply provide an engine escape on the middle two yard tracks so a train that runs in engine-first can gets it engine out without having to reverse the train onto the mainline. I think it would be better to place a passing siding on the mainline; as in a siding that follows the main closely but provides a short length of double track so two trains can pass each other.

If you send me a best offer for 10% less than list price with your MTF account information, I'll automatically accept it. This only applies for the list price. In addition, returning customers get 5% off on their first three purchases (after their first one) and 10% off for all purchases thereafter.

Thanks for looking!
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #13
CTValleyRR
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot2fly View Post
So I took some of you guys' advice. I unfortunately can't do a L layout because of space. I am confined to 4x8 for now.
I don't want to belabor this, but if you have room for a 4x8 sheet with 2' aisles all around, then you have tied up an area of 8x12, or 96 square feet. The L, which requires access on only one side, fits in the same footprint, or even smaller (8×10, allowing for the same 2' access along one side), potentially 80 square feet. Sketch it and see.

If you want a 4x8 layout, than that's fine, but don't settle just because you think that's all the space you have.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
Dreadnought
Brakeman

Would you be able to elaborate on why you only have room for a 4x8? I think we're all making assumptions about your space which may prove untrue.

If you send me a best offer for 10% less than list price with your MTF account information, I'll automatically accept it. This only applies for the list price. In addition, returning customers get 5% off on their first three purchases (after their first one) and 10% off for all purchases thereafter.

Thanks for looking!
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #15
Brakeman Jake
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N scale
Send a message via MSN to Brakeman Jake
Interesting layout designs can be created in a 8' X 10' space,much more so in 8' X 12'.
Brakeman Jake is online now   Reply With Quote