Model Train Forum banner

Modern G Scale Boxcars or Racks

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  CRH 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has already been covered. I did a quick search and looked all through this topic. I am looking for a more modern day train set for a more realistic feel but it is so hard to find anything that is still rolling in G scale. I have looked all over eBay and different websites. Do any of you know why I can't find any or maybe you could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Train "sets" are normally starter sets. I worked on a USA trains "GRAMPS" tank car. It had plenty of detail. What companies have you looked at? Charles Ro came up on my search.

How about a SD 70 MAC

Here are some sets

#7 ·
Let me try rephrasing, I'm talking about cars that are still rolling or just recently decommissioned
I think your original statement:

I am looking for a more modern day train set
is what is throwing things off; cars that are still rolling or just recently de-commissioned can be 30 or 40 years old, which are definitely not "modern"...

#8 ·
G scale box cars

justarailfanguy;

I don't model in G scale,so I don't have personal knowledge to give. Walthers Inc. (walthers.com) is the largest train distributor in the U.S. They publish a G scale paper catalog, so I would think their website would show a huge variety of G scale cars.

Traction Fan

#9 ·
Yep, USA Trains/ Charles Ro Supply is the place to buy modern rolling stock from. The autoracks are over 3' long. Modern tank cars, centerflow hoppers, 60', 50', 40' boxcars & refers etc.

Aristo-Craft did make 53' Evans boxcars in PanAm paint...maybe Guilford to as they had SD-45's in those paint schemes.

AML/ Accucraft is supposed to be releasing 1:29 scale 50' High-Cube boxcars in the near future...along with the coalporter hoppers and 3-bay PS 4750 hoppers there's all kinds of modern rolling stock out there :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.