Dullcote - air brush or rattle can - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Painting, detailing and decaling
Forgotten your password?

Painting, detailing and decaling Tips, techniques, and discussions about painting, detailing or decaling rolling stock or scenery.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
sachsr1
Gang Labourer

I actually used my airbrush this weekend to apply Testors Model Masters flat clear lacquer. It was a lot of work, and spraying lacquers through an airbrush is pretty toxic smelling. I also used my can of Dullcote and achieved the same look. I'm sure you could get a slightly better finish if you're good with an airbrush, but to me the rattle can worked just as well. I might continue to use the airbrush for the final coat, and the rattle can for the other layers. On a positive note using lacquer thinner in your airbrush will REALLY clean it up. That's hoping your o-rings are solvent resistant.
sachsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
Waddy
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachsr1 View Post
I actually used my airbrush this weekend to apply Testors Model Masters flat clear lacquer. It was a lot of work, and spraying lacquers through an airbrush is pretty toxic smelling. I also used my can of Dullcote and achieved the same look. I'm sure you could get a slightly better finish if you're good with an airbrush, but to me the rattle can worked just as well. I might continue to use the airbrush for the final coat, and the rattle can for the other layers. On a positive note using lacquer thinner in your airbrush will REALLY clean it up. That's hoping your o-rings are solvent resistant.
I would argue that spraying a rattle can is just as toxic. I try to spray outside and wear a respirator regardless.

What I like about mixing in your own flattener to the lacquer is the control you get over how dull the final finish turns out.

And buying lacquer at the auto paint store is much, much cheaper than buying those little cans of Dullcoat. I think Dullcoat is a rip-off.
Waddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #13
flyboy2610
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO, too blind and fumble fingered for N
My personal choice:
https://www.menards.com/main/home-de...00077296030693

Much cheaper than Dullcote and works just as well.
flyboy2610 is offline   Reply With Quote