Model Train Forum banner
3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Ed 
#1 ·
I got a 50 inches by 50 inches space available for a winter theme layout. If I choose to go HO, I will have a turntable and two short sidings, but not much room for much buildings or scenery. If I choose to go N scale, I will have two tracks, two sidings complete with a small town. I don't know which to choose, help me out...

Thank you!
Brandon

#2 · (Edited)
Brandon, (et al)...

From the space you have available it would appear that you have less interest in running trains than interest in displaying a winter scene...I'd suggest that with what you mention regarding an HO construction involving a turntable, you would be modeling a locomotive repair facility in the winter months without much real estate to work with for locomotive movements anywhere else as a train (with a consist of freight or passenger cars).

In my view, then the more obvious choice would be to construct a layout in N-scale and incorporate a track plan (and repair facility, if that's what you are focused on) that gets you (your locomotives) out of the yard and, as a train, to some other location of interest with perhaps a wye turnaround within the remainder of the 17 square feet of real estate available to you.

A suggestion, FWIW

Bruce /FRED On Board
ATSF, BN, SP, UP

#4 ·
Consider your age and physical abilities. Can you see N-scale well enough to model it? How well do your hands and fingers work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.