Another train store closes... - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Model Trains in the News
Forgotten your password?

Model Trains in the News See what the mainstream media is saying about our great hobby!

Old 04-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #21
3.8TransAM
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyM View Post
3.8TransAM-"Haven't made it there yet. Kids are usually wiped after hitting Hesston Steam Museum! Planning on stopping eventually. Thought that place was in New Buffalo?"

"It would only be on Hesston trips, its a little over an hour for me

It use to be in New Buffalo, but now it's five miles down the road from The Hesston s Steam Museum in Michigan City. Tom McComas owns it and moved it to his property.

http://ilttstore.com/
Didn't know they moved.

They have more than all the 3 rail/Lionel I saw?
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8K...s42brohmp9CsrQ
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #22
DennyM
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM View Post
Didn't know they moved.

They have more than all the 3 rail/Lionel I saw?
No, it's mostly the 3 rail stuff. He does have some Standard, HO and S gauge stuff, but not very much. He also has some MTH and Atlas stuff. When your leaving the Hesston Steam Museum turn right and go five miles down the road you'll see it on your left.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

Southwest Michigan Modular Train Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #23
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
It's happening in other industries across the country too. I see in tonight's local paper that Rue 21, a teens clothing chain, is closing 400 of its more than 1100 stores "as it focuses more on its online business." Officials said they have been battling declining mall traffic amid strong competition online.

I wonder how long it will be until more malls start closing with customers choosing to stay at home and shop?
Fire21 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2017, 07:49 PM   #24
DennyM
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire21 View Post
It's happening in other industries across the country too. I see in tonight's local paper that Rue 21, a teens clothing chain, is closing 400 of its more than 1100 stores "as it focuses more on its online business." Officials said they have been battling declining mall traffic amid strong competition online.

I wonder how long it will be until more malls start closing with customers choosing to stay at home and shop?
The mall in Benton Harbor, Michigan is on it's last days. They lost Sears and a lot of other stores have moved out. It's not just the stores, but the food courts and all the people that work in a mall behind the scenes are going to suffer too. I guess hanging out at the mall is a thing of the past.

Southwest Michigan Modular Train Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #25
Ko Improbable
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire21 View Post

Nearly all of the malls in my area are floundering. There was one called Crestwood that was like The Place, for years. After a couple of years of the place being totally vacant (no shops, and thus no customers), they've started tearing it down.
Up in the northern areas of the St Louis area, they built The Mills, which was supposed to be this mega-mall that would have everything, and have connected lots outside the mall to attract more builders. They never managed to get all of the shop spaces filled, and now large sections of it are vacant. I heard they recently sold the whole thing (other than the attached Cabela's, who own their segment) for just a couple of million.

As for the original topic, getting back into the hobby, I was sad to see that there is pretty much just one shop that still does much model railroad retailing. The place I used to love to go to is a mere shell of its former self.
Ko Improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #26
MacDaddy55
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: "Ho" all the way And Christmas "O" "O' "O"!!
Jewel Tea Remembered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
My dad worked 40 years for Jewel Tea Co. Some of you old timers will remember them.
It was a home shopping service. They came every 2 weeks to your home and bring you
what you ordered 2 weeks ago and get a new order. It was a great convenience for the
housewife. Not many housewives left. Most women work now and are not home during the day. Back in the day families had one car, or non. Men took the car to work. Jewel
Tea Co. sold dry goods. Yes tea and coffee, but also clothes, lawn furniture, toys, and
great cookies. The route man would bring in a basket of items to spot sell. These were
items that were not ordered but could be bought. It was a way to upsell. I worked 2
summers for them. I would run a route while the normal guy took vacation. I was good,
all the route men wanted me to run their routes while they were off. I kept their sells going. I would say the internet put them out of business. They were over 100 years old. They started with horse drawn truck.
Yes, things change. I have 2 trains that were sold by Jewel Tea. a 1952 American flyer
and a 1960 lionel steamer. My dad retired in the 1990s and Jewel Tea closed up a year
later. He knew they were on borrowed time.
My Grandmother Burns was a huge Jewel T. patron and it was always a thrill when the Salesman would bring in her supplies and go through the Order guide AKA Catalogue with her...That was special!! Also The Green Stamps Store and all those booklets....Mattel Winchester was my big killing!! Those were the days of High Adventure!!
MacDaddy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:40 AM   #27
Panther
Brakeman

On a positive note.
I have been able to find, and replace everything I have wanted from my past. So at least that is something good with progress. Just about anything you need can be at your doorstep within a week.

Dan
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote