First layout - need constructive feedback - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Layout Design Forum
Forgotten your password?

Layout Design Forum Discussion resource for planning your dream layout, large, small or micro!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
pilot2fly
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Send a message via Skype™ to pilot2fly
First layout - need constructive feedback

Hi guys,

I'm building a 4x8 layout since it's all I have space for. I want to do a sort of 80's style/modern day diesel freight layout. I am using a couple of CSX SD40-2's to haul freight and I wanted some feedback on my initial design (rough draft).

I have a design here with a small yard that can do things like coal and warehouses/industry for box cars. I also have a siding for fuel and water for the loco's, and a siding where full cars are ready to be picked up. I want some more ideas on how to make it more realistic. I want to do "realistic operations" where the loco's move slowly and in a realistic way.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

pilot2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
Dreadnought
Conductor

One big way to make a 4x8 more realistic is to have a scenic divider in the middle; a backdrop of some sort. This will make it less obvious that the train is running around in an oval when its on the mainline.

You could try and have a scenic divider at a ~45 degree angle alongside your industry tracks. I would also add a passing siding starting from the turnout to your industry tracks, so you can have more than one train pass each other. After you add the scenic divider, you can add some more industries to the area around the locomotive housing. Perhaps give your products from the industrial area somewhere to go, like a freight transfer terminal or something like this.

You can go a long way towards making a 4x8 more believable. You'll just have to be careful with the minimum radius of the tracks since you're using SD40-2s.

If you send me a best offer for 10% less than list price with your MTF account information, I'll automatically accept it. This only applies for the list price. In addition, returning customers get 5% off on their first three purchases (after their first one) and 10% off for all purchases thereafter.

Thanks for looking!
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
Brakeman Jake
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N scale
Send a message via MSN to Brakeman Jake
Do you mind letting us know what is your available space?There are numerous ideas on this forum that can help you design a much more interesting trackplan than a 4 X 8,wich notoriously make poor use of space.May be that a little more work would give you a more satisfying design,but then may be you don't have a choice.
Brakeman Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
DonR
Yard Master

You might move the turnout to the locomotive housing
to the left, then add another spur track or two that
could be the loco service area which would free the
yard track for another purpose.

It's always important to have a passing siding on
a switching layout. There are many times that a loco
must get on the 'other' side of a car. You might see
where you could add that to your layout.

Have you gone through the Layout Design Forum?
The two sticky threads have some very interesting
layout ideas. While you may not want to build any
certain layout you can find small sections that may
work on your tracks.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
CTValleyRR
Yard Master

Take your circular saw and cut that piece of plywood down the center and form the two pieces into an L.

Make a point to point layout, which will give you much more operational possibilities than you can ever hope to achieve on a small rectangle. For an example, see the "collection of track plans" thread and you'll see what i mean.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
pilot2fly
Hobo

So I took some of you guys' advice. I unfortunately can't do a L layout because of space. I am confined to 4x8 for now.

I added some passing sidings and moved the water and fuel to the loco housing area.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
robz
Hobo

First, I like your 2nd layout, looks good.
Second, I only started a few months ago so please take with a grain of salt. I would look closely at the area circled. Is there enough room to maneuver the SD40 and still be able to operate the turnout? I have to allow at least 7" on my 4x8 layout in these areas for the switcher locomotive. I use an S-2 switcher that is 6.5" long.
Also are all sides of the layout accessible or does it lay against a wall or 2 walls? How will the turnouts be operated, manual or with a machine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem.jpg (37.5 KB, 77 views)
robz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
pilot2fly
Hobo

These are manual switches (EZ Track nickel silver). I was worried about the space too. I might try to add in an extra inch or two and that should give me enough room. The entire layout will be accessible from all sides.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #9
Brakeman Jake
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N scale
Send a message via MSN to Brakeman Jake
I see two flaws in this design...sorry...adding a few inches passed the turnouts will indeed give more room for larger locos but will at the same time shorten the storage track.And to be useable,this "runaround" design means that one of the tracks leading to it has to remain clear at all times,thus reducing your storage yard by half.Worthed the effort?Your decision...
Brakeman Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
pilot2fly
Hobo

Is there a way to make the yard more efficient? I'm welcome to ideas!