Model Train Forum banner

TRAX The free layout planning web app has reached Version 1.0

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Beng27 
#1 ·
Last two months I have had a bit more time to work on TRAX. I must say it was time well spent: a lot of new features were added and existing features were improved to make TRAX a more solid and intuitive application.

And I am proud to announce TRAX has now reached Version 1.0: www.traxeditor.com

What is TRAX?
For those who have not worked with TRAX before:
- TRAX is a web based application for designing and planning your layout
- TRAX is free
- TRAX works on Mac, Windows, Linux and any other computer with a modern internet browser
- TRAX comes with a viewer: a simple piece of HTML code that enables you to present your design on your own website and allow your visitors to scroll, zoom and explore your plan in a more interactive manner.
- TRAX supports over 70 different track programs and still counting

What's new in TRAX?
- Flex track has been heavily improved: special handles enable you to fine tune the flow, allowing for nice transitional curves. And there is also an option to insert straight flex track of the exact lenth you need.
- You can now make project specific settings and change colors and grid size.
- TRAX now can handle both millimeters as inches
- You can load and scale a background image. This comes in handy if you are modelling from a prototype and you are using aerial photographs or satellite imagery.
- Pins can now be used to fixate your track to the canvas as well as to tables.

Also selecting track has been improved, the cutting and pasting functions work better and a lot of silly bugs have been fixed.

What's next for TRAX
The next - or a next - step will be a TRAX App for iOS and Android. This app will be better adjusted to touch screen interfaces and using the functions mobile devices have to offer.
This does not mean development of the TRAX Web app will be on hold. I will continue fixing bugs and implementing new features. I still have lots of ideas like an interactive 3D mode, layout control software and a module layout planning tool.

Interested? Please have a look at www.traxeditor.com

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hey Fedor!

Just tried to register, but the confirmation link in the email isn't working, just says its failed.

Any tips?
Registration failed
The code in the link is wrong. Please check of you used the right link. Please remember the password link is only temporarely valid. Older links should not be used.
Username - xxx xxxx
email - xxx

Could it be because I have a space in the user name?

#4 ·
That's not an uncommon issue for many applications. Unix doesn't like spaces in user names and file names, for instance.

IEEE Linux: Usernames with Whitespace

It's always best if you can to use names with no whitespace, avoids a host of issues. I have a domain name with a dash (-), and I've had several websites reject my email address because of the dash. The dash is fully recognized by all standards, and they can't even get that right. :)

#6 ·
Hi all!

TRAX is still progressing: we now have about 120 different Track Programs, a lot of bugs have been resolved and we have a TRAX Forum where you can share your layout designs, ask for help and share your general model railroad efforts.

#7 ·
Hi, Fedor. I just signed onto and used TRAX for the first time. :appl:
I found your app easier to navigate, and your instructions clearer than the other comgen track programmer.
I also like your background better. :)

May I make a suggestion? For us USA people, put inches along with the MM dimensions.
It would make it faster than having to get a mm to inch conversion chart every time.

I had only one issue: I could not find elevation controls. I put a post in the forum.
I'll check there for your answer.

RonthePirate

#8 ·
Hi RonthePirate,

Thanks for your kind words!

You can have your measurements in inches already - when in the editor, click the cog-icon to get to project-settings. Here you will find the option to set inches as units of your preference.

(The options falls out off the window in some browser, but when you move the settings window to the blue background you will see it and you can still select that option - I'll repair this asap ;-) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.