Model Train Forum banner

New member with a quick question, lionel 2065

7K views 51 replies 9 participants last post by  gunrunnerjohn 
#1 ·
Hello All! My name is Nathan Plemons, I have been playing with my Lionel model train for as long as I can remember. Recently I dug it out of mothballs and got interested in it again. I restored my father's old 726 Berkshire, it has been missing the front cover and several other pieces since be bought it some 50 years ago.

Anyway, yesterday I was in a nice little hobby shop and was able to pick up a 4-6-4 Hudson steamer labeled #2065. At first glance she appeared to be in pretty sorry shape, in fact the nickname rust-bucket wouldn't be too far off. The boiler was fairly clean but the wheels and valvegear (which surprisingly is all intact) were pretty rusted. Ultimately though for $40 I could see some serious potential. I stripped her late last night and went to work with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush. Most of the parts have already made a very big improvement. I was pleased to see that the inside of the loco actually looked pretty good, aside from a serious lack of oil! I cleaned up the motor assembly as best I could and oiled up the axles, gears, and motor shafts, cleaned up the e-unit and low and behold it runs flawlessly! Even the original smoke unit still works. This tells me that the only things wrong with her are cosmetic and I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Just a little bit of care and she's gonna be beautiful again.

With that not so short introduction aside, comes my question. I have not been able to find an exploded parts diagram. For my 726 I found a diagram complete with part numbers which really helped me in my restoration. Does anybody know where I could find such a diagram? If not diagram is available, does anybody know the part number for the handrails for this loco? As far as I can tell these are the only missing parts.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

See less See more
#8 ·
Nice collection. I only have 3 currently. I have my father's original 2037 Praire that he got when he was a kid. A few years later he got the 726 Berkshire, and then just yesterday I picked up the 2065.

I see you have the PRR Turbine. I want one of those too but I haven't found one at the right price yet. Same shop that I got 2065 from had one but he wanted like $300 for it. Figured I'd keep an eye out on ebay and see if I can find one that needs some care for less.

#9 ·
I got these, here off someone who was getting out of the hobby.
A package deal on Lionel locos and tender....681, 2020, 2025, 2065 and 6466w tender.

I got them all for $275 w/t shipping.
He wanted $295 plus shipping.

I looked for his pictures when he posted but they are gone.

Look around deals come and go quick. Don't be in a hurry and over spend.
I think I got a very good deal on them. They were in great shape too.:D:thumbsup:

#11 ·
That is not all of them. :laugh:

I can't remember why I put them there, I did it while I was cleaning up.
They are still sitting there.:confused:
One day I will round them all up and take a picture.:rolleyes:

#15 ·
Yes it smokes using pellets. Just put one in don't load it up. One is good till it stops pushing smoke out.

When looking for parts keep in mind that the 665 & 685 & 2056 & 2065 are identical differing only in the design of the boiler front.

Your engine has magnatraction, so refrain from using steel wool on it or your tracks. Watch for loose metal pieces around your tracks while running it or they might end up getting sucked up into the gears.

The 685 & 2055 are identical except for the #'s.

Here is a good Lionel ID site for you, http://www.postwarlionel.com/index.html

A picture of your 2065 on the site.
http://www.postwarlionel.com/cgi-bin/postwar?ITEM=2065

My old (young) lady just purchased a hand held scanner.
I am charging the battery now. After I calibrate it and learn how to scan with it, I will try to add something here for you on the 2065.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! I converted the smoke unit on my Berkshire to use smoke fluid because the old smoke unit wasn't working. I suppose for the sake of consistency I probably should convert the Hudson, but since the original unit is actually still working, I think I'll just look into getting some pills for it and see how well it does. I hear the fluid works better than the pills, but if it's working and original I can't bring myself to change it until I try it.

Here are a few pictures. First is the Hudson, this is her good side, the valvegear on the other side is in worse shape. You can see the front and rear trucks have some rust remaining as well. After getting her running I hooked her up to a long freight consist and she pulls it well. I think I will call it, "The Spirit of Rustoleum."

Here we have my recently restored Berkshire standing proudly.

And finally here is my 2-6-4 Prairie slightly out of focus and in need of some cosmetic work but running strong. I believe the smoke unit is burned out as well.

#22 ·
Nathan -

I like the selection of locomotives. These are "real world" locomotives. Let me explain:

I've seen a few locomotives in parks and what not (not museums and restoration centers), and these look very realistic to the prototypes. Most locomotives in the public hands don't get the the funds or care they deserve, and they sit silent, weathering gracefully. The age shows, but people still love them and hold them dear to their hearts.

The stable you have is very much like that, and I wanted you to know I appreciate them for how they stand now.

- Paul in AZ

#20 ·
FWIW, I converted a 2026 to the liquid smoke, it's a drop-in replacement for $12.50 from The Train Tender. It smokes up a bunch! I still have the parts from the pill unit, but I couldn't see trying to run it, even though it still worked. The pills deposit some nasty calcium deposits on the locomotive, oil is easy to wipe off. :)

#21 ·
Are you going to paint the 2065 and the 2037 eventually?

The 726 looks great.:thumbsup:
What paint did you use on it?

#23 ·
The 726 was pretty rough so I fairly well had to paint it. I just used flat black krylon and several coats of clear krylon over that and have been very happy with the results. On the wheels I used somewhat of a textured finish krylon, hand rubbed bronze or something.

I haven't really made up my mind about the others yet. The 2037 I will probably leave well enough alone on it mainly because it does not have any rust on it. As for the 2065 I am interested in removing the rust but otherwise may leave it alone, as it has been mentioned, one rarely finds a steam locomotive in pristine condition so for realism I may leave them less than perfect.

#27 ·
Hey Bad.... you mean to tell me I should have left this one alone?:D:confused:

View attachment 10630

Second in from the left.:D

View attachment 10631
Sure - if it works, then it's all good. It's personal preference. "Patina" is a big thing in classic car circles right now. I figured it could translate into model railroading - people are weathering rolling stock, right?

Anyway...

#29 ·
I did not say one way or the other John.
I hear what he is saying, if that is what you like go with it.

I was just saying that my 2065 from the dumps had just a little to much patina.:laugh:

#33 ·
With the help of a dremel tool, a little elbow grease, and some new parts from The Train Tender, I've got her up and looking pretty good. I've got all the rust off the running gear, the paint on the boiler isn't too bad, looks fairly realistic methinks so I probably won't repaint it.

#34 ·
Can I interest you in some alien green paint?:laugh:

It looks good....smoking good.:thumbsup:

Is it smoking good?:confused:

Tender?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.