Model Train Forum banner

Show us what you added to your roster lately?

588K views 7K replies 237 participants last post by  superwarp1 
#1 ·
Show us your newest locomotive or rolling stock purchase.
Scale...Traditional...Tinplate...whatever.

My newest locomotive purchase was this Lionel Legacy Toledo, Peoria & Western GP30 #700 in bicentennial paint...

See less See more
#60 ·
Furniture Hardwood Table Room Floor

I've never seen that "Pulling for You" caboose--I might just have to get one of those. I finally picked up this set that I found a few weeks ago, a Lionel 235W freight set from the 1936 catalog. The loco was recently professionally cleaned, lubed and re-wired, so it's ready for service. At York, if I can find a good deal on replacements for the flat car and tank car, I'll probably upgrade those. Otherwise, a little cleaning and this set is ready to go.

I don't know who was happier at the end of the deal: me for adding another set to the collection, or the man I bought it from, for knowing the set went to a good home.

#73 ·
Thanks,I had been looking for the MTH US Army troop train for years and they never seemed to come up for sale. Scotty Griggs (Trainz)put this one up for auction and I was the high (only) bidder! I also have been looking for the MTH 5344 J!e with the Scullins and the PT tender. It's a tough one to fine too. I've only see one other come up for sale/auction the past several years. This one makes twelve NYC scale Hudson's on my roster. I'm always looking for scale steam that I don't already have. :)

#72 ·
David, Keith,
Thank you!
I have liked the J since I first saw it at the museum in Roanoke in the late '80s.

It is my first PS3. I had some issues with it, and even sent it back to MTH under warranty, but they couldn't reproduce it. Some folks here may recall my lengthy topic on OGRF. Gunrunnerjohn is one. As it turned out, the PS3 didn't like me powering the Fixed Input with a Z500 brick. My PS2 had no trouble. I bought an old ZW, and it all works fine now. And yes, I have TVS diodes and breakers on the ZW. :)

#74 ·
I won this MTH PS2 20-80004B Milwaukee Road GP-7 Diesel Locomotive over the weekend in a Trainz auction. The listing said used but when I put it on the track it had less than 5 minutes of run time and less than .7 miles. Must have just been from testing it at the factory. I got a great price for it I think. Of course it needed a new battery and a lube job but it's really nice for my first non steam engine. Plus I was born in Milwaukee so that made it even better :)

Vehicle Locomotive Train Transport Scale model

#75 ·
Not that its a loco or rolling stock, but this White Box model of a '63 Maserati Quattroporte will go on the layout when I set it up for the '60s. In 1963 the Quattroporte (four-door) was just slightly larger than a Ford Falcon of that era, very luxuriously fitted out, and the fastest production sedan in the world in 1963, with a top speed of 145 mph. I was never that big a fan of Maserati, but I thought they got it right with this one.
It is a very good model. White Box models seem to vary a lot if detail and quality and this is the best I have seen.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

The interior is very detailed and well done.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Luxury vehicle

#78 ·

This just arrived today around 1330 and was two-railed by 1400. I saw one on a friend's layout and wanted one. This one appeared on ebay. Apparently it is not popular as I got on the third listing. The first was at $40.00 with no sale, re-listed at $38.00 with no sale (I was going to bid but forgot the ending time and missed it), re-listed again at 35.00 and I remembered this time. :D

#79 ·
I got the photos to work John. Thanks!

This MTH Premier PS1 F3 set just arrived yesterday. It looks like new, has very little wear. Now I just have to get it out of Reset mode. I got it for a great price because the seller told me it was on the shelf for years and was stuck in Reset.

Transport Train Scale model Railway Vehicle

Train Transport Scale model Vehicle Railway

Transport Scale model Vehicle Train Railway

#80 ·
I got the photos to work John. Thanks!

This MTH Premier PS1 F3 set just arrived yesterday. It looks like new, has very little wear. Now I just have to get it out of Reset mode. I got it for a great price because the seller told me it was on the shelf for years and was stuck in Reset.
First step is to replace the battery. That may do the trick. If not, drop me a line, you can ship me the boards and I can do a reset on them with my reset kit. Worst case is you need a top board, still fairly cheap.

Just to confirm, it starts up and gives you the two dings, and then won't do anything, is that the situation?

#82 ·
I just had one with two dings and no motion. Putting a new battery in was all it required. It had the old white battery, which was long past it's usable life. That may be all yours requires.

FWIW, a general tip with PS/1 is to check the batteries after a long storage time before you ever power them up. The older sound chips have a tendency to scramble the memory and require the reset.

#83 ·
John,
Lets hope that is the case with this one, but if not when I decided to buy it I was prepared to even replace a board if need be.

I just saw the PS3 version at a local hardware store/train store this morning; Great Northern A-B-A for $699, list price $799. While I realize it has PS3, and mine is PS1, I don't think it looks any nicer than mine. In fact, I like the color scheme better on the one I have. :)

#98 ·
Don't ever say you have seen it all, a wise man once said.
The guy I bought the Premier F3 A-B-A set from, said he took it off the shelf after 8 years. It wouldn't run, so he put a new battery in and couldn't get it to run. So he offered it at a really nice price. While waiting for my BCR to arrive in the mail, I took the shell off to try a different battery. Guess what's? He never told me he took the battery out again to ship it, and there wasn't a battery in the box. So I plugged a battery in and within a minute, I had the F3 cruising around the outer loop!! Works for me!! I'm leaving the shell off until I get the BCR, a couple of the standoffs broke off when I took the screws off the B unit. That's what I get for looking to see if there was anything inside.

#86 ·
Well, no chance of upgrading to Legacy, unless you cannibalize a Legacy locomotive. There are no Legacy upgrade parts available. You can buy some of the boards, but specifically the sound stuff is tightly controlled.

You can, of course, upgrade it to TMCC or PS2 ( PS3 now, no more PS2 kits ).

#88 ·
You can't really keep the sound from PS/1. There was a board in the way back history called the Equalizer that did that, but DD went out of business. TAS also had a product that melded the two, but they're also out of business.

The only game in town nowadays for TMCC upgrades is The Electric Railroad (ERR). They have a limited number of sound boards with canned sounds. You can listen to the sounds if you visit the site, click on the Purchase link, and then the RailSounds products link. There is a link to the sound clips for each audio board.