I really really really need help!!! - Page 6 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #51
Mark VerMurlen
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO
I enjoy driving when I'm on interesting roads and with a car that's sporty (i.e. handles well, has good power, etc.). I don't enjoy driving in city traffic or stop&go rush hour commuting. Its just too frustrating for me. So I'd welcome autonomous driving in some situations and want to do the driving myself in other situations.

I think that one of the most intriguing aspects of autonomous driving cars is when they can communicate with one another. The Tesla crash in Florida would not have happened if the vehicles involved were in communication with one another. Similarly if a deer jumps out in front of a car on the highway, maybe there's one crash of the car that can't avoid hitting it, but the cars behind don't all pile into it.

There's even a proposal that when all cars are autonomous and in communication with one another that you don't need traffic lights or stop signs. The cars can compute spacing and arrival times at the intersections so that they pass through without hitting each other kind of like the trick driving demonstrations we sometimes see in commercials or shows. That will be something I will have a hard time watching as a passenger in the car.

I think that Tesla and Google have demonstrated far more advancement in self driving cars than most people could have imagined even a few years ago. So I think its going to happen faster than many of you predict.

Mark
Mark VerMurlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #52
thedoc
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
The winter tires they have available today are a world of difference to the old snow tires. They have a softer rubber compound that can really improve they ability to drive in the snow and even somewhat on ice. One year I ended up trying to use all season tires in the winter because they were brand new and I had worn out my Blizzak tires the winter before. Bad idea. Between the softer rubber compound and the aggressive tread, I won't go without them in the winter.
For The last year of college, I got my daughter a '95 BMW 530 with an automatic transmission, and put a pair of Blizzak's on the rear. This was in Rochester NY, and she would pass AWD SUV's with all season tires that were stuck in the snow. The automatic transmission was the only real problem with that car. I don't know how much snow you get in Montana compared to Rochester or Somerset county, but I would think that people who live there know more about driving in the snow.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #53
Chet
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc View Post
For The last year of college, I got my daughter a '95 BMW 530 with an automatic transmission, and put a pair of Blizzak's on the rear. This was in Rochester NY, and she would pass AWD SUV's with all season tires that were stuck in the snow. The automatic transmission was the only real problem with that car. I don't know how much snow you get in Montana compared to Rochester or Somerset county, but I would think that people who live there know more about driving in the snow.
More than enough. I am about 45 miles north of Yellowstone Park.

Chet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2017, 07:14 AM   #54
mjrfd99
Engineer

Computer controlled cars. Great idea- then the Russians can hack drive the DNC's clown car off a cliff LOL
mjrfd99 is offline   Reply With Quote