Amherst Railroad Hobby Show - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Train Shows, Events
Forgotten your password?

Train Shows, Events Tell us about upcoming train show events in your neck of the woods.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 11:15 PM   #11
FTWingRiders
Hobo
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Spent 4 hrs there on Saturday and 3 today. Back gave out about then (it's odd that on an old geezer like me with plantar fascitis and bad knees, it's always the back that goes first).

Had a great chat with Joe Fugate of MRH (check out the magazine at www.model-railroad-hobbyist.com), got some tools I've wanted, and picked up a lot of good ideas and inspiration. My son added 3 peices of rolling stock tk his collection.

Hopefully FTWingriders survived his baptism of fire...
All I can say is WOW!! when Terrie and I walked into the first building we were blown away! I'll admit, I'm a total new guy, so I first had to figure out what all I was looking at... all the vendors we talked to were helpful explaining things to us. It was awesome looking at all the working layouts, I didn't realize there would be that much running, but it was a huge help looking at different scales and layout sizes.

By the time we got to the Better living Building, we had better sense of where we were leaning towards.. we love the O, but we're thinking HO would be a great compromise of space and detail we want. Terrie and I love the scenery aspect, and we can picture a layout with different areas with all 4 seasons depicted with multiple trains running. Very surprisingly for us, we walked out with nothing but brochures and ideas.

Trying to find a place for a layout is my next challenge. There isn't really a place in the house, but luckily I have a heated room upstairs in my barn. Unfortunately most of it is used for my wife's business storage, but I should be able to clear a 7x9 area, hopefully a bit more, open on 3 sides that I could build a layout in.. there still a long way before I get to that point, trying to get a layout I like, and figuring everything out.

We're looking forward to it, and I'm sure we'll have a question or two along the way. Glad I found this place, there's a lot of information and knowledgeable people here.

Thanks! Forrest
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #12
CTValleyRR
Station Master
 
CTValleyRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: East Haddam, CT
Posts: 4,727
Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWingRiders View Post
All I can say is WOW!! when Terrie and I walked into the first building we were blown away! I'll admit, I'm a total new guy, so I first had to figure out what all I was looking at... all the vendors we talked to were helpful explaining things to us. It was awesome looking at all the working layouts, I didn't realize there would be that much running, but it was a huge help looking at different scales and layout sizes.

By the time we got to the Better living Building, we had better sense of where we were leaning towards.. we love the O, but we're thinking HO would be a great compromise of space and detail we want. Terrie and I love the scenery aspect, and we can picture a layout with different areas with all 4 seasons depicted with multiple trains running. Very surprisingly for us, we walked out with nothing but brochures and ideas.

Trying to find a place for a layout is my next challenge. There isn't really a place in the house, but luckily I have a heated room upstairs in my barn. Unfortunately most of it is used for my wife's business storage, but I should be able to clear a 7x9 area, hopefully a bit more, open on 3 sides that I could build a layout in.. there still a long way before I get to that point, trying to get a layout I like, and figuring everything out.

We're looking forward to it, and I'm sure we'll have a question or two along the way. Glad I found this place, there's a lot of information and knowledgeable people here.

Thanks! Forrest
Well, you're like me. I go more to explore and be inspired than I do to buy. You have to know your prices if you're going to buy there. Some vendors think nothing of marking stuff way up, then marking it back down to near MSRP and advertising a "show special".

One reason I like that show is that there are so many operating layouts. Some of them are kind of "meh", but others are really brilliant. Did you see the one (New England Modular, IIRC) that had 2 F-units pulling about 30 open auto racks, each with a dozen or more scale autos? Awesome. And unless that guy has some way to mass produce cars himself (3D printing?), there is probably over $2 Grand tied up in that one train alone.

For your layout location, if you have a climate controlled room in an outbuilding, that's probably ideal, so long as it isn't too dusty and has good lighting and electricity -- and of course you can always add more of both. I would be very optimistic about your ability to squeeze a layout in there, especially if you make one like you saw yesterday -- long and narrow rather than rectangular. Long and narrow can still make a loop. You just stand in the middle. Or make a "folded dogbone" with a balloon track at each end for the trains to turn around. You can also think about making the layout between elbow and shoulder high, so there would be storage room underneath.

You're right, though, that this will be a very rewarding journey. If you have the patience to think things through and make good decisions rather than rushing along, I think you will find it even more rewarding.

Why don't you open up your own thread in one of the other sections and start trying to organize your needs and wants? I'm sure you will get lots of good advice on how to proceed.
__________________
Connecticut Valley Railroad -- A Branch of the New York, New Haven, And Hartford

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
Tom_C
Brakeman
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 249
Scales Modeled: On30
You could always do On30, which is O scale on HO track. Narrow gauge is another term... but you can also have narrow gauge HO on N scale track, not sure the nomenclature for that.

Not as much available compaired to HO though, but for older folks with old eyes and hands, it's an option. I grew up with O/27 but switched to On30 for my holiday layout cause it scales to my wifes building size, but offers HO track to stuff 10 lbs of stuff into a 5 lb bag
Tom_C is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #14
DMASSO
Brakeman
 
DMASSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Stratford, CT
Posts: 161
Scales Modeled: O three rail
I went Saturday with two members of my club. I enjoy just looking at everything and see if something catches my eye.
I bought three Lionel sound cars for my club and myself, another Ross turnout and a new haven railroad 2017 calendar.

It seemed like there were more module layouts and vendors. I took pictures just to show some activity but they are elsewhere.

We left early and went to the Red Rose Italian restaurant for a nice meal. It was a great day.
__________________
Don
Boothe Memorial Railway Society
www.bmrailways.com
DMASSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #15
Overkast
Engineer
 
Overkast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 983
Scales Modeled: HO, currently N
I'm so bummed - My weekend was tied up so I couldn't make it up to the show. It really sounds like an amazing venue that I would love to check out.
__________________
My Layout: New England Model Railroad (NEMR)
Overkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #16
CTValleyRR
Station Master
 
CTValleyRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: East Haddam, CT
Posts: 4,727
Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkast View Post
I'm so bummed - My weekend was tied up so I couldn't make it up to the show. It really sounds like an amazing venue that I would love to check out.
Well, there's always NEXT year!

I mean, what else do you do on the bye weekend between the Conference Championships and the Superbowl?
__________________
Connecticut Valley Railroad -- A Branch of the New York, New Haven, And Hartford

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
Overkast
Engineer
 
Overkast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 983
Scales Modeled: HO, currently N
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
I mean, what else do you do on the bye weekend between the Conference Championships and the Superbowl?
I know, right??? Last Sunday felt so strange to not have any football to watch. I felt "empty" inside
__________________
My Layout: New England Model Railroad (NEMR)
Overkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


» Visit These Sites:
LGB World

Or Our European Train Website ModelRailForum




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.