Show off your tinplate! Anything goes - Page 15 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > Tinplate
Forgotten your password?

Tinplate The place for tinplate of all scales, locomotives, rolling stock, accessories

Old 02-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #141
Panther
Brakeman

Dieseler;
I have that very same locomotive. Yes, it was the first double reduction geared motor made by Marx.
Yours appears in a little better condition then mine is. I do not plan to restore the shell, but do plan to fix up the motor.
I wonder if that repair takes away from the original vintage value of the Loco ?

Dan
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #142
Dieseler
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Dieseler;
I have that very same locomotive. Yes, it was the first double reduction geared motor made by Marx.
Yours appears in a little better condition then mine is. I do not plan to restore the shell, but do plan to fix up the motor.
I wonder if that repair takes away from the original vintage value of the Loco ?

Dan
What repair are you planning on doing such as just cleaning it up or ?

Cleaning it up some getting the grime off motor and lightly polishing the shell to protect its original finish in my opinion is not harming the original vintage perhaps just preserving it from further deteriorating

Would love to see your shell and motor as personally i do not often see this particular engine ..
Dieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:58 PM   #143
Panther
Brakeman

Dieseler;

I plan to completely disassemble the motor, replace the brushed, clean the armature, deep cleaning of entire motor.. If I were restoring the shell I would completely rebuild the motor.
Now having a second look at the Loco, the spark assembly is missing the wheel. Could you post a photo of your motor for comparison.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170202_163818.jpg (100.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20170202_163900.jpg (110.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170202_163934.jpg (95.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170202_163925.jpg (111.6 KB, 0 views)

Old 02-02-2017, 07:21 PM   #144
sjm9911
Hobo for Life

Scales Modeled: O
I really don't think fixing the motor so it runs well will negatively effect the value. Unless it's mint like condition, it will likely just add to the value. That beeing said , most stuff , unless mint is loosing value. It's the nature of the hobby now........
sjm9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #145
Dieseler
Gang Labourer

Its in post 140 here is another picture in this link that may show the motor better in this link under
Mercury 635 the far right you can click on it to enlarge it i cannot copy and paste picture here as its clearly copyrighted.

Link- http://www.marxtinplatetrains.com/marx_guide_locos.htm

I see yours is missing the round stone wheel which has a rod going thru it with a small brass gear on its end in that assembly is the lever the contains the flint.
I can take a picture of mine if you need to see it.

You may need a donor engine for one though as i do not think these are reproduced or with some luck
Robert Grossman Marx parts man may have one as he does carry some parts not listed just mention it for an electric #635 as the windup sparkler is different although i did not see one on the not listed list he sent me when i ordered some CV parts.

Your motor will polish out very nice as the grease and oil actually saved it from rusting out the surface rust will polish right off, your shell i wish i could say the same as that rust on it will only worsen with time in my opinion .
I lucked out as my shell was rust free.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:26 PM   #146
Panther
Brakeman

I have several parts motors, that I can get the sparker parts I'm missing. They appear the same as those on mechanical engines.
The attached picture is a restored Marx motor the way I do it.
I purchased Walt's disk with all of his Marx photos and info. A great disk for about $25.00.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008 (2).jpg (75.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #147
Dieseler
Gang Labourer

Here is excerpt from what i read comparing them.

This gray electric Mercury freight engine is equipped with a sparkler. The Mercury was the only electric engine Marx ever outfitted with a sparkler. It was not a good idea and was abandoned quickly. It is more common to find these engines with the sparkler guts stripped out than intact. The pressure applied by the sparkler unit made the motor overwork.

Unlike the sparklers on the clockwork motors that operated off simple gravity the switch (at the stack)

Referring to the electric below in article

On these units pressed the flint against the grinding wheel. I have two of these engines and both are very tempermental. A little too much pressure and the motor freezes. Not enough pressure and the flint doesn't engage (no sparks).
Old 02-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #148
bluecomet400
Conductor

Scales Modeled: Prewar O Gauge and Standard Gauge
Just picked this set up this week. All it needs is a pair of motors and it's good to go.

williams25th1.jpg

williams25th2.jpg

williams25th3.jpg

williams25th4.jpg

williams25th5.jpg

TCA 90-30847
bluecomet400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:33 AM   #149
Steve "Papa" Eastman
Hobo

This same motor minus the sparking unit also came in some CP locomotives. They had extra weights and came with a few more 8 wheel cars than most sets. Not the wheel base is a bit longer on these prewar DR motors.

Steve
Steve "Papa" Eastman is offline   Reply With Quote