Model Train Forum banner

HOW OLD ARE YOUR TRAINS?

5K views 53 replies 32 participants last post by  emmetd 
#1 ·
This is for everybody. What is your oldest IN SERVICE Locomotive or car? I'm not talking about stored or displayed collectibles, but equipment in regular use.

I'm in HO of course, and my oldest is my '59 vintage Athearn Hi-F GP 9. That old boy is pushing 60 and still runs fine. Original motor and all!
A good portion of my other "daily drivers" are just about 45 years old and still going strong, so what about yours? I can only imagine what some of you O scale guys might have! Please include pictures if you can.

Transport Rolling stock Train Vehicle Locomotive

See less See more
#44 ·
It just hit me, my Tyco trains isn't my oldest as I previously mentioned. My oldest is my brothers Marx Big Rail train set he got for Christmas back in 1969. Still complete, runs great and in the original box. He didn't want it so I took it over in the late 70's. I also still have my Mighty Casey set that I got for Christmas in '72 I think it was. the one you could ride on. Still have all the track and the engine and one gondola car. Yes that one also still works.

#50 ·
Most of my locos and rolling stock are about ten years old at the very most. I believe my switcher engine is older than that (bought it used at a show a couple years back). I prefer to buy pieces that are not too old, so that I don't have to worry about reliability too early.

-J.

#52 ·
Zinc pest was most predominant with items made in early 1930's, because it was a new process. It took a correct balance of components to eliminate the impurities, which caused the swelling of wheels, and body parts. By the mid to late 1930's, the die casting process was much improved and the dreaded zinc pest was mostly eliminated. Zinc pest still shows up in more modern things, but it comes down to better quality control which isn't always followed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.