Model Train Forum banner

Motor Brush source

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  adaboy 
#1 ·
Can anyone provide me with a source for n gage train motor brushes? I have at least 10 engines which I believe would run if new brushes were installed.

Has anyone tried using pencil leads as motor brushes?

Thanks.

Dave

#4 ·
Hello Dave, I acquired a bunch of N a while back, I have a thread on them,
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=7158

Now, I really have not worked on any N before I got these. And when I got these more than half the locomotives wouldn't run at all. They had no signs of life.

All I did was clean the wheels real good and most of them took off and ran like rockets.
I cleaned what track I had on the small table too. A few I guess is an internal problem but I was amazed at what a little cleaning accomplished.

I am guessing yours are nice and clean? Both the track and wheels?

#5 ·
Big Ed,

I do check the wheels and track. I give a new used engine a quick try. If it doesn't run, I put it on the workbench and connect a power supply directly to the motor at the brush contact points. If the motor does run then I go back looking for the weak electrical connection and fix it. If the moor doesn't run I check to see if it turns freely. If it does the brushes become suspect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.