Model Train Forum banner

Deadly train collision caught on tape

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  microbuss 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Looks like the guy is trying to warn the train....futile, to say the least....!!:eek:hwell:
Would be curious to know if the guy driving the car was showing off for a friend...
("Here.....hold my beer and WATCH THIS!! I'm only gonna do this ONCE!!!!!!!!":rolleyes:)
Boy, this rash of rail accidents is really giving trains a "black eye"!!!:thumbsdown:

May your freight ALWAYS roll smoothly...and ON TIME!!

#6 ·
Boy, this rash of rail accidents is really giving trains a "black eye"!!!:thumbsdown:
I truly believe most people understand the matchup of mass between a car and a train. Therefore I don't think the trains are getting black eyes. But there ARE a lot of morons out there who just don't believe that "it" could happen to them.

I guess I'm from the old school...I always look both ways when crossing tracks, realizing that a simple flaw in the system could keep the lights off, the bells from ringing, and the arms from coming down.

#8 · (Edited)
Good thinking, Scott. Cull the herd. I wonder how many who have been hit and survived manage to repeat the event at some later date? I mean, once stupid, twice moronic? :dunno:

I've seen those European blockades where this huge steel column rises out of the pavement, and anyone who hits it comes to an abrupt stop...maybe we could install those instead of crossing arms. You know, put them across all lanes to prevent driving around them. Or maybe the old tire slashers like were used at the drive-in theaters to keep peeps from driving in the out lane.

Or maybe back to the 1st paragraph and let nature take it's course........ :sly:

#9 ·
Or maybe back to the 1st paragraph and let nature take it's course........ :sly:
This is the most cost effective solution for society. Can you imagine the cost of upgrading every railroad crossing?

When I lived in Oklahoma, there were hundreds of crossings on dirt roads that weren't even marked other than a sign. No lights, no bars, etc.....people were smart enough to stop at them because they understood that a multi-million pound train could come rolling down that path at any time. Every once in a while you'd get some idiot that blew through the intersection at the wrong time and gets nailed. There's only so much you can do for people, and these last few have been prime examples of that.

The signs and lights are clearly visible, and you would have thought the driver would have also been a bit more careful with all of those pedestrians at the crossing (those doing the filming...you can see quite a few people around in the videos.)

The driver was being careless and paid for it with their (and their passengers) lives.

#10 ·
I don't think trains are getting a "black eye" because of all the recent accidents......actually, I believe it's the opposite......trains are getting credit for eliminating the "Darwin" awards people.....if anything, trains should get even more credit for performing a greatly needed public service.......:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.