good cheap starter dcc system - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
joed2323
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: ho
good cheap starter dcc system

I plan on running no more then 4 locos probably more like 2, but want the option to run more then 2 if need be.

I understand i probably will be paying close to 200, im hoping for what i need to control.

They have so many options for dcc, it makes it tough to pick which dcc unit to go with.

I realized i want sound on my locos and all the sound effects to make my layout come alive.

Im looking to buy like a starter set that has everything i will need to get me running trains, i dont want to buy a dcc unit then have to get this and that to make it all run.

What would you guys suggest to get my feet wet and have a enjoyable experience, cost isnt everything to me as long as i can buy everything i would need in one package.

Thank you again, im sure this topic may have been covered before but i tried the search button and really didnt get a good answer.

Again i dont have a basement empire probably along the lines of say 12x12 maybe a tad bigger layout planned.
joed2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
manchesterjim
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO
Send a message via Skype™ to manchesterjim
My Humble Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed2323 View Post
They have so many options for dcc, it makes it tough to pick which dcc unit to go with.

What would you guys suggest to get my feet wet and have a enjoyable experience, cost isnt everything to me as long as i can buy everything i would need in one package.
IMHO....the Digitrax Zepher for a starter. The control panel alone is very intuitive. I don't know anything about NCE so I can't give you an opinion there however......

whatever system you go with, you'll need to have decoders installed in your locomotives. (Prices range from $20 to $40) If you don't have much electronics experience, better to pay your local hobby shop to install them.

http://photobucket.com/jimstrains
manchesterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Xnats
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N just because we have no room for HO
If you are planning a 12x12 I would stay away from the starter sets. From what I recall you posting in treads, you are running n scale? A 12x12 is large, that is a lot of track in scale miles I would look into a 5 amp system. Once you get your system and discover how easy it is to run a consist of engines you can easily be powering 6 to 8 engines. Two trains with 3/4 engines pulling Then on a layout that size you'll want some of your turnouts powered through your system, this is when you start eating up your amperage.
Just encase you are doing HO with sound. 4 engines would be maxing a starter set.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
joed2323
Dispatcher

Im doing ho scale. Sorry for not stating that.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
joed2323
Dispatcher

A 3 amp system should do me just fine in ho correct? I could always get a booster if i wanted to play like the big boys for 5 amp correct?

Im just looking at getting started and running as of now
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
manchesterjim
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnats View Post
If you are planning a 12x12 I would stay away from the starter sets.
I was also looking at his upper price limit. Zephyr fits that for sure but I DO agree that one of the other systems would be better. The nice thing about Zephyr or the others is that they could later be used as boosters for a larger system. (Like I'm doing with my original Empire Builder).

Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
joed2323
Dispatcher

To be honest price isnt holding me back. If i gotta spend more then 200 to achieve a great system then so be it
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
manchesterjim
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed2323 View Post
To be honest price isnt holding me back. If i gotta spend more then 200 to achieve a great system then so be it
In that case you'll want to ask yourself how involved in programming and automation you want to get. In Digitrax you'll have 2 higher levels of choice there....the Empire builder and the Super Chief. The former is a 5amp system and the latter is 8amps.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
joed2323
Dispatcher

To be honest price isnt holding me back. If i gotta spend more then 200 to achieve a great system then so be it.

I just dont see how or why i should spend say 400 on a good dcc system that has the ability to do anything and everything if i wont even come close to running the max out of a system.

Id rather spend less and get a system a little smaller geared to my layout potential.

Do i have the wrong thought pattern here? I just want something i wont regret dwn the road, or say to myself,s**t i should have bought that other one.

Last edited by shaygetz; 02-05-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
joed2323
Dispatcher

Also- do they make a system with 2 Throttles so 2 ppl can play ? would i have to buy extra throttle?