Lionel Transformer Type LW Whistle Button Problem - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
epattyj
Hobo

Lionel Transformer Type LW Whistle Button Problem

I bought a Lionel Type LW transformer and when I depress the Whistle button I can see a change in voltage on my layout but the two trains I tested do not whistle with this transformer. I tried an old #2055 steam engine and a new Strasburg #475 steam engine. The Lionel 2055 is typically hooked up to a Type CW transformer and since both the engine and the Type LW transformer are postwar I expected that they should be comaptible.
I wired the transformer per the transformer's manual but did also test reversing the leads. When I open the transformer and depresss the Whistle button I can see that it slides down to make a new contact with a copper head. I do not see any loose or broken wires. I did have to reset the lever for the Direction button because it was working in reverse (making contact instead of breaking contact). So I am sure someone was under the cover before me.
Does anyone have any ideas on troubleshooting this problem? It is a great little transformer but without the whistle button functioning I hesitate to use it.
epattyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Would the Lionel LW Transformer Maintenance Manual help?
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
epattyj
Hobo

This is awesome. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Glad we could assist, let us know if you sort it out.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
BigAl56
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O
If the power is dropping severely when you press the Whistle control that is usually caused by a shorted or worn out rectifier disk. Lionel postwar transformers used a crude diode device to create DC used to operate the whistle. Over time they can wear out. These donut shaped disks are common replacement parts. I recommend replacing it.
BigAl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: HO ... and growing Lionel O
When you press the whistle button, you should have a DC signal sent out to the track ... initially around 3 V to trip the whistle relay, then around 1 V to hold it there.

Can you use a meter to check for the DC signal?

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Actually, if the rectifier was shorted, the power would just go up, since it's in series with the boost winding. If the power drops, that's usually a sign that the parallel resistor or the contact for it on the whistle switch is not working. Usually, it's the switch, the resistors are pretty robust.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
big ed
Railroad Baron

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epattyj View Post
I bought a Lionel Type LW transformer and when I depress the Whistle button I can see a change in voltage on my layout but the two trains I tested do not whistle with this transformer. I tried an old #2055 steam engine and a new Strasburg #475 steam engine. The Lionel 2055 is typically hooked up to a Type CW transformer and since both the engine and the Type LW transformer are postwar I expected that they should be comaptible.
I wired the transformer per the transformer's manual but did also test reversing the leads. When I open the transformer and depresss the Whistle button I can see that it slides down to make a new contact with a copper head. I do not see any loose or broken wires. I did have to reset the lever for the Direction button because it was working in reverse (making contact instead of breaking contact). So I am sure someone was under the cover before me.
Does anyone have any ideas on troubleshooting this problem? It is a great little transformer but without the whistle button functioning I hesitate to use it.
I have to ask.

When you tested the engines I guess you had the tenders hooked to them?

I know the 2055, I don't know about the 475, but the whistles are in the tenders.

I don't know how new you are to trains so I thought I would mention that.

You would be there for a while trying to get the whistle to blow in just the engine.

big ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #9
epattyj
Hobo

LOL yes the tenders are hooked up I tested them using other transformers first.
Lots of awesome information from all you guys. I will post what I find if I get it working.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
big ed
Railroad Baron

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by epattyj View Post
LOL yes the tenders are hooked up I tested them using other transformers first.
Lots of awesome information from all you guys. I will post what I find if I get it working.

OK, I had to ask.

We can eliminate that being the problem.

Back to the electrical guru's.

big ed is offline   Reply With Quote