Mister Rogers Model Trolley Layout! - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 06-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
trainguru
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO, OO, and S & O at Christmas :p
Lightbulb Mister Rogers Model Trolley Layout!

fred_rogers_with_trolley.jpg

On the spur of couriousity, what scale did Mister Rogers use for his Neighborhood where the Bakery, the Music Shop and his television House were? And what scale did he use for the Neighborhood of Make Believe models in the Kitchen, and his "real" trolley to the Neighborhood. I'm most courious about the layout and the kitchen models for myself (want to recreate it partially), and the "real" Neighborhood Trolley from the living room, as a Summer model for my Papa's Garden Railroad. Would a Tyco Trolley be a good start, to recreate the Neighborhood Trolley for the first two? They look very alike.

Seriously, I've always wanted to have the models, since they really inspired me, and he helped me learn about life. He never talked down to children, like on all the other shows, and trancended age barriers (My 8th Grade Language Arts Teacher. Who was an Army Vet, who was stationed in Germany in the 1970's or 1980's, used to search for Fred on the television, when he got mad, and he told our whole class that; their words still weigh on my mind, day to day.). Fred Rogers, no matter what is said, is a great man, who's legacy, is encouraging us to be better, thinking, doing, living people, than be mindless drones, that media makes many of us today. Thank you sir.

So, any advice for incorporating the Neighborhoods of Mister Rogers into my Modeling efforts? And one other thing, this is for all to enjoy! -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFzXa...layer_embedded

The latest viral video on the web! He's still got it. -

"Ayeeeee!!!" - says The Fonz

trainguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
big ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
USA

The trolley was G scale.

A switch where a train turns OUT or turns IN.
big ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
big ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
USA

This won't help but a copy and paste,

Rogers used simple songs and, on nearly every show, segments from the Neighborhood of Make-Believe (NOM) to make his point. A scale-model trolley was often (but not always) used to segue into the Make-Believe segments, said neighborhood being inhabited by puppet characters including King Friday XIII, Lady Elaine Fairchild and Daniel Striped Tiger.

Here is a picture of him with a piece of the neighborhood almost looks like HO houses & the trolley? Maybe S? Looks too small for O and too large for HO.
Came from a wiki,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_...7_Neighborhood

240px-Bwsweep.jpg

Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
shaygetz

Scales Modeled: HO, HOn30, N
Send a message via Yahoo to shaygetz
The layout itself was HO scale, the trolley on it was a modified TYCO Brill. It had no motor but was instead pulled across the layout by a string that was operated by a stick underneath. It was a successful, unauthorized surprise installed by one of the TV crew between seasons that Rodgers fell in love with the moment he saw it. The larger one was scratchbuilt by a well known model maker of the day and electrically operated on approximately 3-4" gauged track. There is a life sized one in an amusement park in Pennsylvania that was dedicated by Mr. Rodgers when it opened. There is an article in Model Railroader magazine on it that caused a furor equal to any on graffiti about the appropriateness of it in a "serious" hobby rag.

My website... http://bobsmodelworks.com/. My old website will be finding its way there as well...
shaygetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
big ed
Railroad Tycoon

USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
The layout itself was HO scale, the trolley on it was a modified TYCO Brill. It had no motor but was instead pulled across the layout by a string that was operated by a stick underneath. It was a successful, unauthorized surprise installed by one of the TV crew between seasons that Rodgers fell in love with the moment he saw it. The larger one was scratchbuilt by a well known model maker of the day and electrically operated on approximately 3-4" gauged track. There is a life sized one in an amusement park in Pennsylvania that was dedicated by Mr. Rodgers when it opened. There is an article in Model Railroader magazine on it that caused a furor equal to any on graffiti about the appropriateness of it in a "serious" hobby rag.
Cool I am headed over to Model Railroader.

A picture for gurrruu,
Do you think the trolley he is holding is G scale?

The real one.

364320000-24160737.jpg

learn-mr_holding_trolley_hires.jpg

Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
brylerjunction
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO, N and O
the one he is holding is certainly g-scale. I wonder if it was a scratch built item made by the prop house. Perhaps you could contact the production company (if they are still around) or maybe a PBS Network would have the info in their archives
TCA #12-66954
PCA #12-748

BrylerJunction Your source for new products at great discounts, authorized retailer of Kadee, Atlas, Soundtraxx, Intermountain and many more. Specializing in Craftsmen kits new and old.
brylerjunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
trainguru
Engineer

Talking Thanks Guys!!!

Thanks Guys; I thought there was a similarity to the two, and I've always wanted to visit Idlewild, and I can't believe that I was right on the money. What Model Railroader issue was that, that had Fred in it? I want to get it for my archive. - - If any resource would serve vital, it would be that issue, or did I misinterper?

Last edited by trainguru; 06-09-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Smokinapankake
Conductor

Don't know exactly what month or issue, but I remember reading that article. Shay summed it up nicely. I began watching Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood again because of that article.
Funny the fury that article sparked. Bunch of uptight stuffed shirts that don't know how to have fun with their trains. I quit reading Model Railroaded after they removed "Model Railroading is Fun" from the masthead. Apparently it isn't supposed to be fun, rather, a job that none of those clowns could get in real life so they play work to make themselves feel like somebody.

Sorry. Rant over.

If you build it Guru, we wanna see!
Smokinapankake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
shaygetz

Scales Modeled: HO, HOn30, N
Send a message via Yahoo to shaygetz
I have it...just need to dig it up...gimme some time...

My website... http://bobsmodelworks.com/. My old website will be finding its way there as well...
shaygetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
trainguru
Engineer

You got it!!! -

Tags
famous model trains, fred rogers, neighborhood, traction