The waiting game.... - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Badwolf & Arizona RR
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O Gauge; The "Highly Unorthodox" Tyco Twin Turbo Trains
The waiting game....

While in the neighborhood, I put down my deposit for the MTH R36 World's Fair subway train set (30-20105-1). It says it's shipping in September, but the site has also said shipping in July 2012, and before that, shipping Spring 2012.

http://www.mthtrains.com/content/30-20105-1

Anyway, my plan with this train is to run it in command mode around a simple Christmas tree oval (with slight modifications) using the Proto 3 audio stuff with automatic starts and stops, etc. Will the basic DCS Commander do this (the blurb in the catalog seems to indicate it only runs Proto 2 stuff), or do I have to go whole-hog and get the DCS Remote Control System? The second option seems like very expensive overkill, but I want to have this thing work correctly.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
You can run a PS3 locomotive with the DCS Remote Commander, but you won't have access to all the features. As to triggering the automatic station stop features, I can't really say.

Note that as the thing runs, the stops will slowly change in location, the positioning isn't perfect. If you're counting on perfection, the current command/control stuff isn't there yet.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Badwolf & Arizona RR
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O Gauge; The "Highly Unorthodox" Tyco Twin Turbo Trains
I'm not worried about perfection, just some semblance thereof. See, I don't want to buy the basic unit if it's not going to get the job done for me. It would be more worth it to get the equipment that will work for me, WITHOUT over spending.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
It's hard to say which one you should consider, as I haven't tried to run that set. Also, I have the DCS Remote Control Set which is the top of the line and the "does it all" system.

Personally, if you're planning on getting more MTH command stuff, I'd bite the bullet and go for the full banana.

Here's the rundown.

The DCS Remote Commander is the system that comes with many of the MTH Ready-To-Run systems, it has an MSRP of $49.95.

The DCS Commander is the middle of the road solution with an MSRP of $149.95. It will allow access to all the DCS capabilities, but it's not wireless.

The DCS Remote Control Set is the top of the line, and it allows wireless access to all the capabilities. In addition, it offers track power control of up to four power blocks and supports operation of conventional and TMCC locomotives using the DCS Remote. It has an MSRP of $329.95.

gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Big Mike
Engineer

Scales Modeled: "O" Scale only
USA Dcs

I to have the DCS system ,and like John said ,it is top of the line as for as MTH goes, it can also support up to five AIUs [accy. interface unit] if needed.

the TIU can record up to one and a half hours of track time ,what ever you record ,every button you press is recorded,and can be played back untill you delete it, note: you must stop the recodring [when you are ready,or when time is up] exectly where you started,or the timming gets all screwed up,a little practics and you will do fine...............Mike
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote