Lionel KW transformer - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
c6vette
Hobo

Lionel KW transformer

I just picked up a KW transformer but no user manual. One question, the red light on the unit, is that an overload light or a light to indicate the unit is on? Any help would be appreciated.
Al
c6vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
The red light is an overload light, so it's a good thing it's not on!

I suggest checking the rollers before using it, if they're worn down to the arms, moving the controls will score the windings and quickly ruin the transformer. They're one of the most common maintenance items. The other thing I'd look closely at it the power cord, they frequently need to be replaced because the old cord is brittle.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
c6vette
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
The red light is an overload light, so it's a good thing it's not on!

I suggest checking the rollers before using it, if they're worn down to the arms, moving the controls will score the windings and quickly ruin the transformer. They're one of the most common maintenance items. The other thing I'd look closely at it the power cord, they frequently need to be replaced because the old cord is brittle.
Thanks for the quick reply. You were right on re: the power cord. Cord is in good shape but had to change the plug just a few minutes ago. No AC was getting to the TF.

Not sure what rollers are. I assume I can get to them when I pull the cover off( done that already, no problem) Are the rollers replaceable? If so where can I get them.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
Hellgate
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O and Standard
The rollers are replaceable although they might be riveted in. Either you can rivet them in place or just crimp the end of the rod so it doesn't pull through. You can get them at your local hobby shop or just type in "Lionel KW rollers" on Ebay. Hopefully your hobby shop will sell them to you at a reasonable price.
Hellgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

I get my rollers from The Train Tender, Jeff has very reasonable prices and quick delivery.

The way to replace them is to crush the old ones with a pair of needle nose pliers, then cut the rivet in the center with a Dremel cut-off wheel.

Make sure you don't try to bend the holder on the end of the arm, they are tempered and will break. I replace the rollers right in the transformer. It's a bit tight, but a lot easier than doing a major disassemble. For the new rivets, I just crush the hollow end to hold them in place.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
c6vette
Hobo

Want to thank all for your help. Learned a lot in a short time. My rollers were almost gone, but no damage to the coil yet. Will replace. The forum members saved me a future costly repair.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Whenever someone mentions a new (old) PW transformer, that's one of the things on the checklist. Another problem spot, also easily fixed, is the binding posts. Sometimes the cheap crimps give out, you can also get replacement posts from the same source as above, and they are easy to install. Just used up my last bunch on a new (old) ZW, so I'm due to make an order.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
trainguru
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO, OO, and S & O at Christmas :p
Shouldn't this be in "O-Scale"?

"Ayeeeee!!!" - says The Fonz

trainguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Yep, I moved it to O-scale.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #10
old464
Conductor

Scales Modeled: o scale
he should change out the breaker also to a modern type. heck take it to a hobby shop for an overhaul. cord, breakers rollers, etc.
chris
old464 is offline   Reply With Quote