How many cars can my lionel train pull - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Alundrell
Hobo

How many cars can my lionel train pull

I'm fairly new to the model train hobby, a couple years I got a Pennsylvania flyer train set for Christmas, I also have been collecting the new Hershey commemorative rolling stock, I have 10 of the Hershey cars and the 3 that came with the set, my layout is a 4x8 oval with a siding and a disconnect piece, enough for 5 cars. I would like to expand in the future but not sure what I need. I know there are 5 more Hershey cars out that I want to get but I don't think my engine will be able to pull that much, and I don't know if ill need a mor powerful transformer either the one I have is the cw-80. If any one can advise be on where to go from here that would be great! Any recommendations on more powerful engines would be good too cuz I don't know much about them, I like steamers but a desil would be cool too but I'd like to keep the Pennsylvania theme. I did see a Bachman desil that was a PA and it was a chocolate brown color perfect for a Hershey train! Will a Bachman engine work on lionel fastrack, with a lionel cw-80 transformer?
Alundrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Alundrell
Hobo

Here is the link to te engine that I was thinking about getting, however I don't know much about train specks so I don't know if it will work with what I have and pull what I want it to pull

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200509271
Old 10-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
You can use any O-gauge locomotive and cars on Fastrack, that's not a problem. If you want to have long trains, you need to upgrade the engine from the PA Flyer steamer. That one will struggle with more than 8-10 cars. OTOH, I've pulled 53 cars with a Lionel Legacy dual-motored Conrail SD-80, and it didn't seem to be working all that hard. I ran out of track before I ran out of pulling power.

One issue you'll have is there's always a couple cars in a long train that have flaky couplers under load and they keep uncoupling. You have to either weed them out or fix them.

The Williams you're looking at will be a good puller, it'll probably easily handle 30-40 standard sized (and weight) cars on level track.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Alundrell
Hobo

The fastrack I have is O-27 and the Bachman I linked says it only does O-31 curves according to the catalogue.

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detail.asp?ID=200509294

This train is an O-27 but will it have enough pulling power to pull a longer train
Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

There is no such thing as O27 Fastrack, are you talking tubular track?

If you really have O27 track, you will be limited in the locomotives you can run, one of the reasons I decommissioned my O27 layout to build a bigger one.

Here's a comparison of the two, which do you have?

Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
mwpeber
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: O, O27
That's a nice looking locomotive that your considering. You shouldn't have any problem pulling a dozen or so cars if they are all rolling nice and easy.

I had a few old Lionel gondolas that wouldn't roll down a 5% grade on their own. I could only pull a few of them together but once I fixed them up I didn't have any issues assembling a nice freight train pulled even by my lightest locomotive.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Alundrell
Hobo

Ok I have fast track mostly, i do have have some tube track too but it's a wider turn radius than my fastrack and its not hooked up yet either some one gave it to me for my b-day, I have yet to get the piece of fastrack that connects the two types of track.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

OK, if you have Fastrack, it's O36 at a minimum, and that's the most common diameter. Lionel has announced O31 Fastrack, but I've yet to see any.

My recommendation is to go with the largest diameter curves you can fit into the space available, you'll thank me in the morning! I started with O27, I have a bunch of O31, then I got into O36 Fastrack. Now I'm rethinking my planning to include some O72 loops to run stuff that just doesn't run on the tighter curves.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Alundrell
Hobo

Cool thanks gunrunnerjohn all te cars I have so far are the lionel Hershey cars

http://www.lionel.com/Products/Finde...Within=Current

I believe they are O-27 it's good to know that fastrack is O-36 I just assumed it was O-27 cuz it came with the set and the train was rated for O-27
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

The set is rated to run on O27, and it used to come with O27 track, I have an old one in the closet. When the track was upgraded, they shipped with Fastrack, and at the time the smallest diameter was O36.

Tags
beginner, lionel, long train