Best HO diesel locomotive!? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
ExclusiveHO
Gang Labourer

Exclamation Best HO diesel locomotive!?

Hey I was wondering if you guys can help me out and let me know which company makes the best diesel locomotive, and by best I mean, dcc ready with sound and strongest possible motor because I plan to pull a lot of cars and have some inclines on my layout... Thank you
ExclusiveHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
jjb727
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Send a message via AIM to jjb727 Send a message via Skype™ to jjb727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExclusiveHO View Post
Hey I was wondering if you guys can help me out and let me know which company makes the best diesel locomotive, and by best I mean, dcc ready with sound and strongest possible motor because I plan to pull a lot of cars and have some inclines on my layout... Thank you
Its not just "the best" that you gotta worry about, its also the manufacturer that BESTS serves their consumers. Any company can make the "best this and that," but if they are gonna ignore their consumers and not help when needed, then that's not really "the best"..now is it?
jjb727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
ExclusiveHO
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb727 View Post
Its not just "the best" that you gotta worry about, its also the manufacturer that BESTS serves their consumers. Any company can make the "best this and that," but if they are gonna ignore their consumers and not help when needed, then that's not really "the best"..now is it?
This is why I'm asking my question... Answering a question with a question is not really an answer now is it?, I mentioned what criteria I was looking for so if you have some useful input I'd appreciate it, thank you very much.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
jjb727
Engineer

Well I suppose you could go with the higher priced brands like Walthers Proto or Athearn Genesis. They are only about $100 to $200 more in cost and they have all the super detailing you could want (although I don't need a lot, but that's all based on preference). To me the "best" diesel does the following:

1.Doesn't croke so early in its life
2. Has a nice, powerful, and quiet motor
3. The high quality fly-wheels
4. State of the art sound system (if you're looking for DCC...which is now becoming part of the majority of engines I see at my local hobby stores)
5. Decent to STELLAR pulling power
6. Withstands falls and impacts if they fall to the ground
Old 12-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
ExclusiveHO
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Well I suppose you could go with the higher priced brands like Walthers Proto or Athearn Genesis. They are only about $100 to $200 more in cost and they have all the super detailing you could want (although I don't need a lot, but that's all based on preference). To me the "best" diesel does the following:

1.Doesn't croke so early in its life
2. Has a nice, powerful, and quiet motor
3. The high quality fly-wheels
4. State of the art sound system (if you're looking for DCC...which is now becoming part of the majority of engines I see at my local hobby stores)
5. Decent to STELLAR pulling power
6. Withstands falls and impacts if they fall to the ground
Awesome, and yea money is not an issue here, I'm more concerned with sound quality and pulling power def, because I have some pretty serious inclines that my bachmann and atlas logos pull, but with some issues, and after buying my father the mth Pennsylvania light mikado, with sound and smoke its like night and day.... I also noticed his steam engine has a wheel with rubber, obviously for grip... Is that something that can be added to a diesel locomotive?...
Old 12-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
jjb727
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExclusiveHO View Post
Awesome, and yea money is not an issue here, I'm more concerned with sound quality and pulling power def, because I have some pretty serious inclines that my bachmann and atlas logos pull, but with some issues, and after buying my father the mth Pennsylvania light mikado, with sound and smoke its like night and day.... I also noticed his steam engine has a wheel with rubber, obviously for grip... Is that something that can be added to a diesel locomotive?...
AAAHH the Mikado...such a bad### looking steamer! i would love to see your layout.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
ExclusiveHO
Gang Labourer

Quote:
AAAHH the Mikado...such a bad### looking steamer! i would love to see your layout.
Thx, I will be posting all my pictures from the beginning until now tomorrow and will send you and a few other who are interested in seeing my lay out the link...
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Smokinapankake
Conductor

Broadway Limited makes pretty nice stuff although I have no experience with them personally...
Smokinapankake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
ExclusiveHO
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake View Post
Broadway Limited makes pretty nice stuff although I have no experience with them personally...
That's what I keep hearing as well but no one has any personal experience to be able to give a direct opinion on them....
Old 12-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
mackdonn
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: Ho
I currently have MTH F7 A&B, SD70Ace's, an Athearn SD70Ace, and Bachman F7 and GP's. The best I have owned are the MTH as far as sound, motor quietness, and pulling power. Athearn and Bachman cant pull as many cars on my layout and I have inclines. They also tend to "speed up" on the declines. The ONLY problem I have with MTH is advance consist feature is not available while running on DCC unless you do a software upgrade what requires a DCS controller. Basic or Brute force is available as well as changing all the locos to the same address but this defeats the full functionality of the locos.....just my opinion from limited experiance...
mackdonn is offline   Reply With Quote