How to Fix TYCO Engine. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Technical Model Train Forum
Forgotten your password?

Technical Model Train Forum Discussion on advanced technical aspects.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
VictoriaVA
Hobo

How to Fix TYCO Engine.

I have a TYCO Santa FE engine from the mid 80's that has not been used in a while. The wheels will not turn. When I increase the throttle I hear a sound as if the engine wants to turn but it doesn't.
VictoriaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
stationmaster
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO and the Conductors G-scale yard/garden trains.
Send a message via Yahoo to stationmaster
Clean it and lube it. Then give 'er a whirl. If it doesn't work, clean it and lube it some more.

I have some old 1950's engines that almost met my hammer, before they broke free.

Use one of those compressed air cans to blow things out, along with a brush to help break things free and clear the motor of debris.

Clean the wheels also. You may not be getting enough "juice" to the motor. Amperage loss due to oxidation and grime.

Bob

http://gottrains.com/quiz/oc5chime.swf
http://www.steam-whistles.com/sounds/765032406a.mp3

Last edited by stationmaster; 08-01-2009 at 11:10 PM.
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
shaygetz

Scales Modeled: HO, HOn30, N
Send a message via Yahoo to shaygetz
Welcome to the forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaVA View Post
I have a TYCO Santa FE engine from the mid 80's that has not been used in a while. The wheels will not turn. When I increase the throttle I hear a sound as if the engine wants to turn but it doesn't.
Sounds like the pinion gear on the power truck is stripped, a common problem with Tyco "Power Torque" trucks. Because there are no spare parts made or available anymore, there are three options for most folks...

---toss it if there's no sentimental value, they are quite common...

---make it a shelf queen until you can find another Tyco to strip for its power truck...they all used the same mechanism, regardless of model...

---repower it with an Athearn or other brand mechanism that will fit under the shell, like I did with this Tyco Chattanooga GP20...

My website... http://bobsmodelworks.com/. My old website will be finding its way there as well...
shaygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
stationmaster
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO and the Conductors G-scale yard/garden trains.
Send a message via Yahoo to stationmaster
Bob, he said the motor wants to turn but won't. I'm guessing a cleaning and lube. Usually works for me.

But, if the motor IS turning and the wheels aren't, it's not worth the trouble, as shaygetz noted.

Bob

http://gottrains.com/quiz/oc5chime.swf
http://www.steam-whistles.com/sounds/765032406a.mp3
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
Hi and Welcome!
Tyco has the worst record for recovery. If it wants to turn but doesn't look at the gear drive in the truck. A mount could of broken off. Remove that gear. If the gear powers only one axle it will run with the other,if not your done.It will not go if you are missing traction tires. You can remove all the gears and use it as a dummy.
You are lucky you have a three Bob answer.

Does it look look this?

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information

Last edited by T-Man; 08-02-2009 at 07:05 AM.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
VictoriaVA
Hobo

Thanks for all of your posts. I got it to work. Just lubed it, cleaned it, and it works! I thought it was dead but its working fine!
VictoriaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
Great ! but whatever you do always stop the engine cold before placing it in reverse. The little gear will pop and stop.

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
shaygetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaVA View Post
Thanks for all of your posts. I got it to work. Just lubed it, cleaned it, and it works! I thought it was dead but its working fine!
That's great...even Tyco has a respected place in model railroading---even if it's the butt of jokes. Long live Tyco...

My website... http://bobsmodelworks.com/. My old website will be finding its way there as well...
Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
tkruger
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
[quote=shaygetz;11760]That's great...even Tyco has a respected place in model railroading---even if it's the butt of jokes. Long live Tyco...
QUOTE]

If it were not for Tyco and the lowest level Life Like made when I was a kid I would not be in this hobby. I hate to say this but a Tyco from EBay will probably be my first kid's train. Cheep and if it breaks I have lost nothing of value.

I have found several of the Tyco rolling stock to be good runners. I commonly run some of their gons, tanks and hoppers. The work as well as my Bachmann ones.
tkruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
shaygetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkruger View Post
If it were not for Tyco and the lowest level Life Like made when I was a kid I would not be in this hobby.
I love them myself and cringe at the thought that I've defaced a couple with weathering and Kadee couplers over the years. Now I leave them alone, if they don't run fine, if they do, even better. They have a growing fan following too, now that that generation is getting up in years...yikes...