Looking for foam base, will this do? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
deviltrigger529
Gang Labourer

Looking for foam base, will this do?

Hey guys, I'm in the process of finally doing my "final" layout, so I tore down my layout entirely and am starting from scratch as I gather the rest of my track. My table is about 11ft x 9ft with a 3/4"(I think) plywood top and a 2x4 frame. Last time I used cotton and felt(not the best idea) and this time I want to do foam. I went to my local fabric store and they had different sizes but for 1 inch thick of how much I needed was going to be like $140...no way. So I have heard of people using insulation foam and I found this stuff at my Home Depot;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cor...3#.UfqEhW0nx8E

I don't plan on carving into this much so 1 inch should be fine for me. I will probably end up stacking and carving that way. Does this stuff look like it should do the job? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

And then since its pink, what should I do about coloring it? Should I just paint it all 1 color and then blend from there?
deviltrigger529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
BigAl56
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O
Pink foamboard is what I use however I use a thinner sheet. The 1 inch T&G is expensive and a bit overkill. When you screw down the track make sure your screws go into the foam and not through to the table.
BigAl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
big ed
Railroad Baron

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviltrigger529 View Post
Hey guys, I'm in the process of finally doing my "final" layout, so I tore down my layout entirely and am starting from scratch as I gather the rest of my track. My table is about 11ft x 9ft with a 3/4"(I think) plywood top and a 2x4 frame. Last time I used cotton and felt(not the best idea) and this time I want to do foam. I went to my local fabric store and they had different sizes but for 1 inch thick of how much I needed was going to be like $140...no way. So I have heard of people using insulation foam and I found this stuff at my Home Depot;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cor...3#.UfqEhW0nx8E

I don't plan on carving into this much so 1 inch should be fine for me. I will probably end up stacking and carving that way. Does this stuff look like it should do the job? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

And then since its pink, what should I do about coloring it? Should I just paint it all 1 color and then blend from there?
You could use that but it looks to be only 2' wide?
I thought that it came in 4' wide pieces too.

This is 4x8 but only 1/2" thick, I thought they sold this in 1" I know they do in 2" 4x8's sheets in this.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-TUF...9#.UfqLh5LVBx4

It has been a while since I looked for this when I went to HD.

But either the pink or blue will work, the thickness is up to you. If your not going to carve I wonder if the 1/2" would be enough for you?

big ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
deviltrigger529
Gang Labourer

Ok at least I know I'm on the right track. The Super Tuff you linked to is sold out in all stores close to me, and I don't see anything smaller with what I linked in thickness. I did realize its 2 feet wide, I figured I'd need about 7 sheets so ~$75 instead of the $140.

EDIT: Started looking on Lowes instead, what about this?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15358-46086-...r|1&facetInfo=

Is sheathing basically the same thing?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
I'm guessing the stuff at lowes is a much lower density foam between two plastic layers. I'd stick with the pink or blue foam.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
big ed
Railroad Baron

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviltrigger529 View Post
Ok at least I know I'm on the right track. The Super Tuff you linked to is sold out in all stores close to me, and I don't see anything smaller with what I linked in thickness. I did realize its 2 feet wide, I figured I'd need about 7 sheets so ~$75 instead of the $140.

EDIT: Started looking on Lowes instead, what about this?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15358-46086-...r|1&facetInfo=

Is sheathing basically the same thing?
I think that stuff would work if you don't want to carve anything, if you do carve unless I am mistaken that stuff would be very messy to carve out.
Plus that looks to be wrapped with a plastic covering, you would have to peel that off so that the paint would adhere to it.

I would say to stick with the pink or blue stuff.

big ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
JackC
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Your best bet is to go to Lowes or HD and look. Not every item they stock is listed on their web pages. I know that's shocking to learn. But both carry the foam board in varying thickness
The major difference for our purpose between the blue and pink foam is the color

Lowe's now carry's a product that's the modern day equivalent of old fashioned homosote. It's lightweight, relatively cheap and will hold a screw.
JackC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Another thing to look for is the damaged panels, they'll typically sell them much cheaper. For what you're doing with them, that's really not an issue.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
deviltrigger529
Gang Labourer

Alright thanks for the advice guys, I'll go out tomorrow and check out HD since its literally a mile away and see what they have.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Big Mike
Engineer

Scales Modeled: "O" Scale only
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
I'm guessing the stuff at lowes is a much lower density foam between two plastic layers. I'd stick with the pink or blue foam.
I've used the blue foam on many parts of my layout,it glues, stacks,carves and paints really easy,liquid nails for gluing and laytex based paint for color,............Mike
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote