Hey yall I'm getting into H/O and I have a couple of questions to start of with when planning a layout. So please don't bash me for bugging you.
First my area: picture a L flipped up where the horizontal is pointing out to the right and the vertical is on the left..
Left side is 8', the top is 9' and the width is 36" (I am leaving a 3" buffer around all outside edges)
Now the questions.
1. What is the absolute MAX grade a H/O can handle? Keep in mind that I am not going to run super long trains so the weight should not be an issue. And I am not too worried about being absolutely locked into a grade that is to scale, a little over is not a problem. For instance is a 5.4% a show stopper? Update - As of right now I am staying under the 4% rule but that is limiting me on how high I go.
2. Are there any issues with mixing Altas code 100 track, Peco Setrack Code 100 track and Peco Streamline Code 100 track?
3. Speaking of track. What in your opinion is the best brand to use?
4. Who makes the best DCC engines
in your opinion? (Yea I know this is subjective but I just had a extremely bad experience with a Bachman N scale DC system.) I'm looking at the DCC modules and detail of the model. For instance I really like the idea of strobes and ditch lights along with head lights. Of course sound must be there as well.
4. I am leaning towards Lenz for the command system but I am not locked in yet.. I am a software engineer so I am looking at P/C connectivity as well.
As a matter of fact I have not decided on brand for anything yet. So any suggestions is welcome.
OK I'm sure I have asked enough to get a bunch of responses.