Magic's Reno Nv. layout. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 02-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
Magic
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Magic's Reno Nv. layout.

New guy here with a new layout.
Ho scale doing the Southern Pacific in the fifties, Southern California, San Fernando Valley to be exact.
I'm 2 years into this thing and am just now getting all my trains to run in circles, I've made every mistake in the book. The biggest one being a double crossover on the main line. (Northwest corner) Nothing I did would work for all trains so I took it out and used 4 #6 trunouts, this is working so far but necessitated redoing most all of my grades on that side of the layout.

The second bad idea I had was when I saw the Southern Pacific Daylight on E Bay and had to have it. More relaying track but I did get it to run on 18" curves. Actually the 18s weren't the problem but my bad track laying skills, had to relay almost everything. The Daylight is pulled by MTH PA and PB. Freights are pulled by Athearn Genesis GP-9 A and B units. I'll look into steam a little later on.

No way in the world this thing is prototypical, I've taken liberties all over the place.
I'm into running trains and yard operations and not so much scenery and the like.
I've seen the work some of you do here and there is no way I have the time (72 years old) or the patience.

I had a layout back in the '80s and keep all the rolling stock, all Athearn blue Box
and have added some more from E Bay. All the track and turnouts are new code 83 DCC.
Lots o' money.

I'll post a track plan, oh wait I have no plan. just winging it.
Well I had a plan but it didn't last a week.

Here's what she looks like so far. The Magic Railroad.

North wall looking West. All the scenery is just temporary just to get ideas. The track is hopefully done. There is no ballast or ground cover, just paint, I hate the look of pink foam. The buildings are more or less what I want.

North wall 2 Where the little barn is sitting is where the double crossover was, the hardest place to get to, about drove me nuts.

West wall looking South. Putting in a passing track for yard operations. The pink foam is covering up the Tortoise turnout motors, had to lay them on their side off center because of the bench work braces. I've got 5 of them like this. Not good planning. The long bridge to the left will be replaced with a wood trestle.

West wall 2 Start of the passing track.

Yard head. Again the Micky Mouse bridge is just temp till I can come up with something better, Plan What plan?

Main yard looking East

Yard looking South. might redo some of this, don't know yet.

Center Island. Trying to figure out what to do with the meat packing plant, it's a little big. Already cut off the fourth floor. I certainly don't like the way Walthers has it laid out. All the rest of the track is just an idea, plan what plan? I put things in and take them out on a regular basis.

It's not very realistic but it's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

Magic

Last edited by Magic; 02-07-2014 at 08:18 PM..
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
The New Guy
Engineer

Scales Modeled: S
I like it. If it's fun for you everyone else can pound sand, right?

Thanks for sharing.

The New Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
wvgca
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO 1890's mountain logging "Squirrel Creek"
good sized layout, i like the big yard, nice
wvgca is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Magic
Dispatcher

Thanks guys.
It should be interesting to run, that's what I'm after. That is if I ever get done laying track, keep coming up with new ideas and changing things. Running out of ideas and space so maybe I can get some run time in.

wvgca The yard is really two yards with two entrances. Sort of a East bound, north bound kind of thing. There is a crossover so it can be one big marshaling yard.
The stub on the East wall ends at a bathroom door and once the trees in the back yard get bigger I may just cross that door and make a pull through yard.

Magic
Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #5
outlaw bill
Hobo

Scales Modeled: N-HO
Your layout looks good. I've just started on mine. Keep up the good work and post more pics.

Bill
outlaw bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:45 AM   #6
trains galore
Conductor

Scales Modeled: oo
That's an awesome layout
Have you got lights in the buildings yet, that would look pretty cool at night...

My disaster in progress
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showt...994#post292994
trains galore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
doorman29
Gang Labourer

Sure looks good to me. As long as it's fun it's a great layout!
doorman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Magic
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by trains galore View Post
That's an awesome layout
Have you got lights in the buildings yet, that would look pretty cool at night...
No lights yet, the buildings are all lighted but no power to them till I get things set in stone.
Plan what plan.
They are all 12V but thinking of going with Leds.
Another idea I've had is to set up 4 lights one in each corner and put each on on/off switches and dimmers so
I can change how much and where the light comes from. It looks kind of crappy right mow with two florescent lights.

Magic
Old 02-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Magic
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by trains galore View Post
That's an awesome layout
I just noticed you're here in Reno.
Maybe we should get together I might not be able to give you some GOOD advice but there is a very loooong list of things NOT to do.
I learned everything the hard way.

Magic

Edit quoted the wrong post this was meant for outlaw bill.

Last edited by Magic; 02-23-2014 at 01:57 AM..
Old 02-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Magic
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman29 View Post
Sure looks good to me. As long as it's fun it's a great layout!
It should be fun, I made the yard some what complicated so it will take some work to make up consist, I draw the cars out of a hat. It's fun digging them out and putting things together.

I guess I really should learn how to use the multi quote button.

Magic