MTH Engine question help please.. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
Pineapple Express
Hobo

MTH Engine question help please..

Aloha Everyone, new here and have a few questions maybe somebody here may know what's going with our set..
My 9 yr old came home with a train set that his grandma purchased for him for $20.00. It is a MTH Railking Ready To Run Set 2-8-0 Steam Freight Set (Santa Fe) that looks like it has never been used, no scratches or any signs of use at all.. came with all tracks, tranformer, remote, steam engine, steam tender, box car, tank car, caboose, etc.. only one problem, I can't get it to move.. I put the tracks together, hooked up the tranformer, followed the set up directions but the thing still will not move.. I took it apart and looked at the engine, brand new, the grease is still fresh and waiting to get mixed around..
I can get the whistle to blow and horn, The little small motor up towards the front, I believe it is the one that makes smoke, yes? well it spins fine and goes faster as I click the throttle up more..when I click the direction button on the remote it stops making a sound for a second and then starts with a humm again from that small engine.. The large motor thou I cannot get to do anything.. I read a few other posts about resetting it and tries the combo's but still nothing.. Is there any other way to tell if the motor works, Can II hook it up with some wires directly to the wheels to see if tthe mor spins like I used to do with my old HO sets??
Sorrry I'm rambling, past midnight here, If anyone has any ideas here I would really apprciate them, maybe I'll call MHT tomorrow.. I'm not even to sure how old this set is.. the part # of the set is 30-40880-0
Thanks- Scott
Pineapple Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
Battery. All the info is at the MTH site in this thread.
Welcome to this forum. It sounds like a goood deal.
If the electronics is bad you can jump the motor but the sound will be gone.
It may be a protosound version one.
It helps with a road name and cab number. SIte search gave a lot of choices.

Good Find B&M I had no luck. Need more practice.

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information

Last edited by T-Man; 11-19-2009 at 06:49 AM.
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Boston&Maine
Minute Man

Scales Modeled: 3R O (1:48)
Holy crap! $20 is a steal considering that this is a $300 MSRP set... I am guessing that this set is probably like 5-7 years old at the most...

Quote:
The little small motor up towards the front, I believe it is the one that makes smoke, yes? well it spins fine and goes faster as I click the throttle up more..when I click the direction button on the remote it stops making a sound for a second and then starts with a humm again from that small engine..
This statement here scares me into thinking that there may indeed be a problem with the main motor... Now, I have never actually looked inside of my MTH steamer, but like you, I am assuming that the small motor that you see working is for the smoke unit... When you press the directional button it cycles the train through forward, neutral, reverse, and neutral, so this would explain why the small motor stops / starts moving when you press the directional button... It is just weird that this would work without the locomotive moving, which is why I think this points to a main motor problem... Of course, this is just my opinion...

Does the train make any special noises when the smoke unit motor is running? Like does it make any "chuff" sounds?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
It may be a protosound version one.
T-Man, according to the MTH site this particular model only has the basic Loco Sounds: http://www.railking1gauge.com/detail.asp?item=30-4088-0

Last edited by Boston&Maine; 11-19-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Boston&Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Pineapple Express
Hobo

Boston&Maine, yes that is our set exactly.. It does not have the protosound , I think only the Loco-Sound like you said..
As for the train making a "Chuff Sound", I believe I did here it make it once.. but only one "Chuff"..
One thing also is that I cannot get the light to come on on the engine, the bulb looks good too, I can see the wires inside are connected. The caboose does light up though when it all coupled together...
Here is the picture of my set..
It is a 30-4088-0 Santa Fe RailKing
I'll try calling this morning mth..
I appreciate the replys guys..

Last edited by Pineapple Express; 11-19-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: updated pic link
Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Pineapple Express
Hobo

Weird I posted a reply this morning but now it's gone..
Anyways I managed to get the light to come on, took the bulb out and cleaned the contacts, not sure if it was screwed down completely either.. Still cannot get this engine to do anything though.. waiting for reply from mth
As I said in the post earlier that has been "lost" Thanks for the replys guys, I do have the set that Boston and Maine showed the link to in the above post, It has the Loco-Sound, also got the "chuff" sound once but only once..
I'll keep chugging along here ..

Aloha
Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Boston&Maine
Minute Man

Scales Modeled: 3R O (1:48)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Express View Post
Weird I posted a reply this morning but now it's gone..
I just approved it... Keep us updated on what MTH says...

On a side note, the only MTH steamers I have seen have been PS 2.0... Just out of curiosity, does the one with Loco Sounds still have a wire cable that connects from the tender into the back of the engine cab?
Boston&Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Pineapple Express
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston&Maine View Post
I just approved it... Keep us updated on what MTH says...

On a side note, the only MTH steamers I have seen have been PS 2.0... Just out of curiosity, does the one with Loco Sounds still have a wire cable that connects from the tender into the back of the engine cab?
Ohhh ok, was wondering where it went....
Yes there is a black cable that connects the tender to a 5 prong on the back of the engine.
I spoke with MTH today and he said it sounded like a circuit board problem to him.. I'm now for some reason getting only a humming noise when I throttle it up and when I press either the horn or bell button it cuts the buzzing sound a few notches until I release the button.. kinda weird but I'm thinking it is the circuits also.. MTH said since it was LOCO Sound only the codes don't work like on the other type..
One more question: How hard would it be to install a new circuit board in this engine I have? There's no train shops where I live so I'm thinking of ordering one and hopefully sodring it in myself..

Last edited by Pineapple Express; 11-19-2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: added more questions
Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

I hope you are running it with the tender connected. Lack of sound was a bad battery.
Can't say anything without a diagram. Wires run to track, speakers ,motor. smoke. That's at least 8 wires to connect plus battery. get a picture and show us.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:06 AM   #9
Pineapple Express
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
I hope you are running it with the tender connected. Lack of sound was a bad battery.
Can't say anything without a diagram. Wires run to track, speakers ,motor. smoke. That's at least 8 wires to connect plus battery. get a picture and show us.
Hi T-Man - MTH said this model has no battery.. It's the loco-sound..
I don't have a diagram yet but here's a few pictures of what the engine and tender look like..

I'm just wondering if maybe one of the wires maybe got pinched or something along that line.. or maybe it is the circuit board.. Like I said before this train looks like it had never been run..
Thanks again for any help you can give //
Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

OK is the battery in your hand held unit good. Try it with the tender off. The switch probably shuts the smoke off. If you eliminate the obvious then you are in step by step checks. You could see about placing a voltmeter across the motor. The lines on the motor suggest a speed sensor. I have no idea on that black looking connection.
If you test the motor unplug the tender.You need to read everthing and go back. You should have a bell whistle not a bell horn.

From the tender picture the 7805 is your voltage regulator to run your circuitry. To the right are two large diodes that may be used for motor direction. The bottom picture shows a potentiometer. It adjusts resistance , not sure what for.

Last edited by T-Man; 11-22-2009 at 10:03 AM.