Your Opinion: Upgrading the Oldschool stuff:) - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
OldAthearn87
Hobo

Your Opinion: Upgrading the Oldschool stuff:)

I couldn't locate a place for polls so I'm putting it in here, sorry if this is the wrong spot. I was just wondering what everyones thoughts are on upgrading the stuff we grew up with such as Tyco, Varney, Mantua, and the old Life Like stuff. I do it and quite enjoy it. If you do what products and techniques do you all use? Hope to hear back from many
OldAthearn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: HO ... and growing Lionel O
I've recently dusted off the trains I had when I was a kid (mostly HO, some O). I built a 4x8 HO layout (little town, mountain/tunnel, not too complex), but opted to go "old school" for most of it. Straight DC trive (no DCC), re-use of the old locos/cars, buildling, etc. I did upgrade to new Atlas track, and got a newer (2nd hand) transformer. But in thinking of "new" vs. "old", I kinda opted to go more along the nostalgic route. As my boys and I push ahead, we might consider a few more modern control systems, but for now, we're enjoying "life in the past".

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Reckers
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: S Scale and N scale suitcase train!
I'd start by asking you to define "upgrading", as it means different things to different people. For some, it means computer control systems; for others, it might mean altering the appearance of an engine or car. Either way, it's an emotional issue. I'm most comfortable with the idea of my hand on the throttle and switches determining whether I have a train wreck or not. I also wince at the idea of someone chopping up a 50-year-old engine to turn it into something new, but that's just me. I support his right to do it: I just wish he wouldn't. He can cut the new stuff up to his heart's content, though!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
MacDaddy55
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: "Ho" all the way And Christmas "O" "O' "O"!!
Never say Die!

Hey OldAthearn,
I'm gonna sound like Will Rodgers(Anybody remember him?) and say "I never saw a Train I didn't like!". For The past 20 years I've picked up some of the most God Awful looking Engines that have or should been scrapped long ago. From Rivarossi Berkshires High Fi drive Athearn to Mantua Mikados from the 60's there must be life left in these old hulks. Case in point I have a Mantua Mikado that literally had hay and mud in every working part known to man that had not run in over 25 yrs. A guy heard I played with trains and dropped it off at work. What a mess. Anyway....it took me about a month to clean it up, dremmel tool off rust & corrosion, remove the worm drive and piece it back together. I haven't replaced anything on it....it still runs. We still have my sons original Life-Like Geeps and most of the cars(he wants to sell them or donate them to the Uof Min. Model railroad club) so the stuff is old and obsolete yet in his mind has value. Updating old equipment can be costly but I guess its up to you the individual and how you feel about your collection. And just to show I'm not an extinct Dinosaur I'm going to a DCC Shop class to ....introduce myself to the NEW WAVE of Model Railroading. Your never too old I guess. So OldAthearn put me down in the Poll for never say Die!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_1046.jpg (115.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Img_1047.jpg (113.7 KB, 26 views)
MacDaddy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Reckers
Yard Master

Great pics of the beast, Mac!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
MacDaddy55
Dispatcher

On my way to work!

Thanks Reck,
This critter out weighs my Mallets and pulls like a mother....Had to change and regrade my turns on the layout because of the shear weight of this thing. It has a sister but she is in need of a major Facial...new front end/pilot...tender needs new truck..looking for Mantua 6 wheeler. Hey are you off today or at work?...cuz if its work,you must have TOO much time on yer hands!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
OldAthearn87
Hobo

MacDaddy55 that looks great! I applaud you for your attitude of never say die! I'm the same, now I have old BlueBox Athearns that are under the knife for DCC. I know thats not quite as old as some stuff out there. I also have put some time into taking old Lifelike and Tyco stuff and putting body mounted couplers on and steel wheelsets, some of the older stuff just has an emotional conncetion for me so I keep it and make it better. I have one old Milwaukee road box car that I put body mounts on and steel wheel sets and it runs like a champ! Keep up the good work guys
Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Reckers
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy55 View Post
Thanks Reck,
This critter out weighs my Mallets and pulls like a mother....Had to change and regrade my turns on the layout because of the shear weight of this thing. It has a sister but she is in need of a major Facial...new front end/pilot...tender needs new truck..looking for Mantua 6 wheeler. Hey are you off today or at work?...cuz if its work,you must have TOO much time on yer hands!
I'm at work----can't you tell? *L* My job is like a model train engine with a bad armature. You go like the dickens, everybody calls and flags you down to do this, go here, answer that....and then suddenly, you hit that dead spot and it all grinds to a halt. There's only so many fires to put out. That allows me a quick 3-5 minutes here and there, throughout the morning, to check the site and do a quick reply.

And by the way, I have 4 sisters that area all in need of a major facial.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
MacDaddy55
Dispatcher

Great Fun!

Hey O.A.,
Sounds like your a "Kitbasher"....post some picks of your stuff...show it off!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
OldAthearn87
Hobo

Yeah I kitbash a bit. I'll have to get some pics, I have an old Bachmann F7 project I'm working on right now, I'll have to get some before and after photos of it.