HO layout or playing table - suggestions needed - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Layout Design Forum
Forgotten your password?

Layout Design Forum Discussion resource for planning your dream layout, large, small or micro!

Old 08-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
CTValleyRR
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyneko View Post
Do you mean to insert end of the containers terminal into right side of "8" (I marked it read, see pic)?

Oh sorry... it my mistake I meant "workhorse" i.e. most widely used 4 axle engine in Canada or USA.
Yes, I was thinking that if you put a turnout between the two red pieces, you could connect the container tracks across the loop.

The "workhorse" you refer to could be any of a dozen locos, depending on what era you choose to model. My advice? Since you're not going for any serious realism, is get one that you think looks cool. Keep it to 4 axles so you don't have any operating issues.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
CTValleyRR
Yard Master

I agree with Don and Bob. Go with the plan you had in post #4.

You seem very concerned with the thickness of your layout. Don't be. Under the table machines will work through anything up to about 7.6cm. I have made layouts with plywood, plywood with foam insulation boards on top, and foam insulation board on L girder joists. The last is my preferred method. It's strong and light, and if you place joists every 50 cm or so, it will be strong enough for kids to crawl on.

As far as what machine, Tortoise by Circuitron, or servos from Tam Valley Depot would be my recommendation. Others swear by Peco. All of them work fine. Prepare to pay about S15 US per turnout.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
CTValleyRR
Yard Master

And one other piece of advice. While I know you have a boy who is probably very eager to get his upgrade, take your time, have fun (and involve him in the building process), and above all, don't be afraid to make a mistake. Remember, no time, effort, or expense is wasted if you use the experience wisely.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #14
RT_Coker
Conductor

If you are looking for a simpler solution, this “#4 post” layout can also be done with just one “DCC reverse loop controller”. The “insulated joiners” are denoted by the Red-lines. Operationally only one of the “insulated joiners” should have a power-unit across it at the same time.
Keep-It-Simple-Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f012RNs-1AR.jpg (74.6 KB, 12 views)
RT_Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
deyneko
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
I agree with Don and Bob. Go with the plan you had in post #4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT_Coker View Post
If you are looking for a simpler solution, this “#4 post” layout can also be done with just one “DCC reverse loop controller”.
OK. I corrected little bit my project (I marked isolation by red short lines):

Quote:
You seem very concerned with the thickness of your layout.
Yes I really concerned. At the first I have not lot of space to keep it when it is disassembled or folded and second I will build a frame with plywood on top before working with tracks etc. I'd like that all things (switch machines etc) will be defended in the future when I install them. But to rebuild the frame will be very difficult.

Quote:
... plywood with foam insulation boards on top, and foam insulation board on L girder joists. The last is my preferred method.
Why you use plywood with foam insulation boards not just plywood? Can you show me any pictures of it?

Quote:
As far as what machine, Tortoise by Circuitron, or servos from Tam Valley Depot would be my recommendation. Others swear by Peco. All of them work fine. Prepare to pay about S15 US per turnout.
Such information is very very important for me because I'm not familiar with switch machines, switches, controllers etc.

Actually I done my first project (picture in first post) with 18" curves and 15" switches because I didn't know anything about it. Hmm but 4 axes engine and 6 axes coach running without problems.
deyneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #16
DonR
Yard Master

I have a great deal of respect for Bob. He has shown us that he knows
DCC circuitry very well. However, on this layout, I have to
disagree. While making the center X of the 'figure eight' as
the one reverse loop, simplifies the wiring, the isolated
section has 4 entry paths. If more than one
train is run on this layout there will be constant short circuits
due to two locos crossing insulated joiners at the same time.

Don
DonR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #17
RT_Coker
Conductor

Don,
The phase ?“constant”? short circuits sounds a bit strong to me.

In my experience a DCC short (assuming the typical DCC controller with its “short-protection”) is preferable to a collision at the cross-over. Note that all 4 reverse-loop entrances/exits are to/from the crossover track section and that this layout is also for the “kids”.
Bob
Old 08-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #18
CTValleyRR
Yard Master

So, let's go back to the original purpose of the layout for a minute. I use foam insulating panels because they are easy to carve into terrain, especially if you want water features below the level of your track. Foam on plywood gives you something to carve into. If you use L-girder joists, the foam is strong enough without the plywood. My layout has hills, streams, rivers, even a bit of ocean, all of which lie below the level of the track, thus foam is necessary.

I believe you are thinking of a perfectly flat table, in which case you do not need to worry about terrain. My primary thought for you is going to be weight. I need help to maneuver a 4x8 sheet of plywood around. I can easily lift a 2x8 foam panel with one hand. Joists and foam panels will weigh about 1/3 as much as plywood.

Really, though, this layout is not going to disappear. Whether you use a frame and plywood, girders and foam, etc. it's going to be more than 5cm in thickness, but probably less than 10. Folded or propped up against a wall, it's going to be fairly thin in proportion to the room size, no matter what.

Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems like anything on the top of the layout, except the track, is going to be taken off when the layout is stored. Switch machines will generally protrude about 3cm from the bottom; either your frame or the joists will be sufficient to protect them.

Three things you might want to do to help your knowledge of the hobby: purchase an issue or two of Model Railroader magazine. Look at the advertising, too. Download a couple of issues of Model Railroad Hobbyist from the internet and read them; again, the advertising is also useful. As far as I know, these two publications are only available in English. You can also either visit the website of William K. Walthers Co., (www.walthers.com) or pick up a copy of their Reference Book (the size of a small city's phone directory). Walthers is the largest distributor of model railroad supplies in North America, and you will get thousands of ideas just from seeing what is available.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #19
DonR
Yard Master

Bob

If there's only going to be one train running then your scheme would
work fine.

But if 2 trains are running, likely they'll be chasing each other on the
figure 8. Usually 2 trains on a layout will be at opposite ends and
running approximately the same speed. So the space between them
stays nearly constant.

That being the case, when train 1 crosses INTO the 'X' it flips the
reverse controller and is likely going to span the EXIT about the
time that train 2 crosses INTO the 'X' and again trips the reverse
controller...but wait train 1 loco is also tripping it. That is where
the short occurs. Follow 2 trains around the layout and you'll
see what I mean.

Don
DonR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #20
RT_Coker
Conductor

deyneko,
I should have added that you can move the “insulated joiners” in toward the cross-over to fit your particular way(s) of operating your trains.
Bob

Tags
ho layout