Taps 5X9' Layout - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
TapRoot
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO
Taps 10X9' Layout

Hey folks, This will be my second build ever and im going for the gold...we'll not really but stepping it up no doubt.

Ill be sure to post pic updates as I go and ideas good and bad so stay tunned!

my issues so far are that Im using a ping pong table for my table so I wont be able to drill holes for wires after the fact...so this is going to require alot of pre planning other wise ill be digging literal ditches in foam later on....might make for a cool scenario scene but id rather not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00893.jpg (110.7 KB, 407 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00894.jpg (97.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00895.jpg (114.4 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00896.jpg (96.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00897.jpg (106.2 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by TapRoot; 02-18-2011 at 01:03 PM.
TapRoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: HO ... and growing Lionel O
Tap,

Nice to see the pics "at the beginning of creation". Thumbs-up on the "pre planning" motivation.

Just out of curiosity, is your intent to keep those two 4.5'x5' subpanels separate and modular? If so, I'd suggest through-bolting them together through their underside frames to keep them tight, yet still allow for eventual removal.

Keep us posted!

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
TapRoot
Brakeman

yup, I have them toe-nailed in for now, I might add a lag but I doubt it will be necessary unless one side gets pushed over past its tipping point.

its really frustrating knowing I wont have an easy second chance to get any wires fixed or moved once the track is down which gets me really wondering how on earth am I going to line everything up before the track is even laid....

smoke break ( :

Last edited by TapRoot; 10-05-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
TapRoot
Brakeman

we'll it appears I will be in the base stage for at least the next few weeks as I get the grades, and crazy amount of interchanging tracks with X crossings, 4 ways, turn table, lights and now a secondary table and ledge ill have to find away to get two tracks off the table for...Also decided I will have a below ground level clearance of around 6" for a possible river/ravine around the mountain area...

If any of you read my other thread in the layout ideas I had a slight change of heart. My scenery and landscape would be to hard to adapt to a war zone in such little space so I decided the next best idea (I totally understand if no one will get this..) a nazi-zombie apocalypse theme on the other side of mountain with a renegade nazi train..I will customize to have little zombie nazi's hanging off the side.

here's a few more pics, the next ones will show where my mountain bridges and tunnels will be..
Im a lot of pieces short especially short straight ones
and oddly enough I have copious amounts of turns and flex track
anyone wanna trade? haha

WOOT! I had no idea there were tracks to attach and detach cars automatically, I was greatly lucky to have a few of these in the bunch of re railers I was dusting off...Im pretty exited about that, each rail yard line will get one now. ( :

So please let me know what everyone thinks! any ideas? tips? I tried to use the anyrail 4 program but I have no idea what any of my tracks are (brand or size)..and computer's are not my thing

cheers
Tap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00898.jpg (104.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00899.jpg (136.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00900.jpg (137.3 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by TapRoot; 10-12-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #5
TapRoot
Brakeman

I just found this pic, I laughed pretty good at the resemblance...
but now I have a better idea to go about it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CN_SpadinaYd_roundhouse_Toronto_Dec80.jpg (206.1 KB, 159 views)
Old 10-07-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
TapRoot
Brakeman

ok so no more nazi-zombies...having a hard time trying to adapt the war zone with such little space and to give it what it would need to be desent. I figured a zombie town would be easy and still fun so we'll see...

anyways I decided to take apart the ping pong top and mount my own panels in its place

got the foam glued down (went for 3" instead of 6")
and starting to get my layout down so I can chop up some cork for my mounds or "ballast"? is it

Went to the hobby shop today and found out 6 of my electric switch tracks are broken and they dont fix or sell rivets for it...so ill have to head to the hardware store tomorrow to find some rivets to put the switch back together

Also found out a good turntable is gunna cost me $250+ wired. yikess...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00901.jpg (104.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00902.jpg (93.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00903.jpg (113.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00904.jpg (102.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00905.jpg (107.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00906.jpg (136.9 KB, 178 views)
Old 10-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
modeltrainhead
Conductor

Scales Modeled: trading HO for n scale
Send a message via Yahoo to modeltrainhead
nce i play call of duty too but my modo trains then i play with my trains a little more
modeltrainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
dozer
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO, S,
Tap,

Everything is looking awesome! That switch yard will keep it fun for sure. Just a heads up though, I have that exact same ping pong table, and the casters and aluminum straps wont hold up to much weight at all. They're very fragile.
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
tankist
פעם שריונר

thanks goodness for the nazzi zombies. this is where it just completely killed the entire CoD for me. Guys at Treyarch, well done flushing a perfectly good game series down the toilet.

anywho back to trains

pictures of lumber are awesome. will really remind you how it all began
it seems to me that the underside is perfectly accessible. which is much beter then digging comminucation trenches in foam.

if you want to play with rail layout before gluing things down use sewing pins - nails are to short to hold the rail good. also think about hiding switch machines, IMHO looks MUCH better without.

and lets see more progress!

ADD

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeltrainhead View Post
nce i play call of duty too but my modo trains then i play with my trains a little more

can anyone translate this for me please
tankist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
TapRoot
Brakeman

thanks guys, yeah the ping pong table tops are about twice the weight of each sub panel I have and nothing else heavy will be going on top...it can also take me (150LB) jumping over it so I'm not too worried, I was however considering making a support bench for the middle of the two panels to go underneath.

and yeah I also plan to cover all rail switches and controls or anything not to scale with fake shrubs and debre.

That's funny you say that tank, me and my brother had bought a second TV and ps3 just for playing zombies. In fact I dont think I ever played the co op or story, just zombies (level 38 is our record on der reise) HAHA too funny.

we'll I bought more turnouts today but still need about 3 more, ill have to go back tomorrow.

Last edited by TapRoot; 10-07-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spell check