Lionel TMCC, Legacy, & Conventional Power & Control - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
rayins
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
Well, I'm there now. I do have a small advantage, I'm an EE and a computer guy, so the concepts are familiar, just not the equipment.

Just trying to figure out what it'll take to upgrade to digital. Obviously, I have to have the infrastructure for TMCC in place first.

Do you control all your switches and accessories that way as well?

Also, is there a computer interface option to do some automated routing and the like?
No, I don't do any of the switches or accessories with my remote, I actually am still am doing the construction of the layout. I do have the track laid and am able to run trains The main thing I wanted was the train control, I have the buttons for my switches and uncouplers around the layout near the accessory that they activate. One guy in our club who is not tech savvy, said he was afraid to try this stuff. He did go ahead and install three Powermasters on his layout so he could run his trains from the wireless without modifying his engines. He guts it and went ahead with the SW2s, switch controllers, he called me yesterday to tell me he has half of his switches on the remote and will finish the rest of them today. He also wanted to know when I would order more driver boards, I guess he is losing his fear of TMCC.
With the Legacy you can set a number of routes without a computer interface. You might also want to visit the Lionel web sight to get more info on the Legacy

Ray

Last edited by rayins; 01-04-2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: answered question
rayins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
I looked it Lionel's site, I guess I'm due more reading before moving forward. I happened to score some TMCC engines (2) for pretty low bids, so I got the itch to make upgrade.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
erkenbrand
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O27, HO
Thanks for asking all the questions, John! I've been wondering the same things myself. I don't think I'm ready to make the TMCC move yet . . . but I know myself and at some point in the next 6 months I'll get there.

Thanks for all the input Rayins! That helps one heck of a lot.
erkenbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

I think I may have to buy some sort of "starter kit" and jump in with both feet. My issue is what is the best choice of a starting lashup.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #15
rayins
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
I think I may have to buy some sort of "starter kit" and jump in with both feet. My issue is what is the best choice of a starting lashup.
Hi again,
One of the things I did not mention in my post was the need of the Lionel SW2 for the switches, you probably gathered that at the Lionel website but I did not want to leave that out. Also to get into this as low cost as possible you will have to do some hunting but you may be able to locate a TMCC Base Command set. The list price for the Command set in TMCC is about $170.00 but they are getting scarce, Legacy costs about $350.00 for the Base Command set. Both of these Base Command sets will have the Base Commander and one of the remotes.
Ray
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #16
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

I noticed that the TMCC sets were disappearing, I bid on one on eBay, but it went for more than I was willing to spend. It might make sense to go Legacy since I see that it's compatible with TMCC and will extend into the future.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Well, I took the plunge and I'm looking at a new Legacy controller! Now I have all the parts, but I'm at bit lost as to how to configure them. The Legacy manual is pretty sparse on how to get the CAB2 to recognize the TMCC engines. I'm assuming I have to put the engine in Program mode, but what do I do next?

My legacy engine is sans manual, so maybe that's the missing link?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #18
erkenbrand
Engineer

Scales Modeled: O27, HO
Good luck, John! I'm looking forward to learning a lot as you sweat your way through it. ;-)

BTW: Where did you pick up the Legacy controller?
erkenbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #19
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

I found it on-line for $269, the cheapest price I could find anywhere. That was at www.legacystation.com

The interesting part was they also had it listed in a different place for $309, but when I did a search using Google, it found the page with the cheaper price. Since they shipped it at that price, I guess it was valid!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
rayins
Hobo

Did you buy just the controller or did you get the base with it? Without the Command base you will not be able to address your engines.
Ray

Tags
control, legacy, lionel, power, tmcc