Best starter set - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Dannyt
Hobo

Best starter set

Hi, I'm 10 years old and interested in getting an HO set. I currently own an O gauge set-up (MTH) but do not know anything about HO. What brands do you recommend I look at for a nice starter set. Who has the best track and trains? I've been to several dealers and looked online and it's a little overwhelming. I want something that is good quality, reasonable and that I can expand (like being able to add automatic crossing gates or side tracks and stuff like that.) thanks.
Dannyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
glgraphix
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO
Danny, I have 2 boys about your age (1 older, 1 younger)
Both like the Bachmann sets, the Spectrum ones.
Good quality, expandable, and just fun

Modeling Clinchfield, L&N & Southern Ry
glgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
tkruger
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Athearn makes some good quality stuff. You cannot go wrong with them. With Bachmann keep in mind that they have a low end (toy like) and high end (Spectrum). There is a big difference. The low end cars derail easy due to lack of weight and poor wheels. The locos also are often one truck drive. The Spectrum line is nicely detailed and better quality all around.

If you are looking to make a layout you might want to looking into geting the parts separately. You may save money in the long run. Atlas flex track at my LHS is round $3.50 per 3 foot section. Locomotives come up at real reasonable prices all the time. Watch the for sale section on this forum. Also a better DC or DCC system can be had individually than you wil find in any kit. It may look like it is costing more at first but in the long run you will have a better foundation for expansion than with most kits. If you have a LHS you might want to visit that. Also train shows are great places to great deals if you know what to look for.
tkruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
modeltrainhead
Conductor

Scales Modeled: trading HO for n scale
Send a message via Yahoo to modeltrainhead
Well I'm not the youngest anymore (13) anyway i go for any bachmann/spectrum sets go for the DC first. and then as you go older go DCC. if you have any questions PM me
modeltrainhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, O, G, N, OO
Danny,
I would recomend go with what you want (I would recomend Bachmann Spectrum, Athearn, Atlas, and Hornby) I would also say that you should try to start out with DCC if you can afford it as it makes running your trains more realistic and less of a hassle to installe the track and block sections you would have to have if it were a dc setup and you wanted to run more than one train at once. If you are thinking of getting a permanant layout built than you should get a plywood board of the desired dimensions add blue or pink insulating foam and build your layout on top of that. I would recomend Flextrack and none of the pre ballasted track as it limits what you can do. Hope this helps.
gc53dfgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: HO ... and growing Lionel O
Hi Danny,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find some good info on HO diesel options in this thread here, especially Post #14:

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=3815

I'd also like to say how impressed I am with your well-written post. Very eloquent for a 10 year old kid.

Cheers,

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Dannyt
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcruiser View Post
Hi Danny,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find some good info on HO diesel options in this thread here, especially Post #14:

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=3815

I'd also like to say how impressed I am with your well-written post. Very eloquent for a 10 year old kid.

Cheers,

TJ
Thanks for everyones advice. My dad helped me write it. But I am writing it now. I found a set here is the link
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-u...productId=1532

It isn't Spectrum but it is DCC which I like. What is the difference between DCC on board and DCC equipped and DCC ready?

Do you think this is a good set? thanks.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
mr_x_ite_ment
Engineer

Danny...I own many DCC Bachmann locomotives (most are the non-Spectrum kind). I have had good luck with all of them. I also have the E-Z Command DCC from Bachmann too (it has also been trouble-free).

DCC On Board means it is READY TO GO in DCC! There is nothing to do! DCC Ready means it is wired for DCC, but you still have to buy a $20 decoder to pop in place for DCC.

With all that the set comes with, I would say it is not too bad of a deal. If it were me, I would probably buy all the components separately. This is my reasoning: If I have DCC, I am going to want to run two or more trains at the same time. If I run two or more trains at the same time, I would want a little more track than what the set comes with ( you need a little space to run multiple trains). Realizing this, I would probably go with flex track (3' flexible sections that provide great freedom in designing your own layout).

I know this seems like a lot to process. You can always expand if you start small, but sometimes it is nice to think a little further down the road! Best of luck!

Chad
mr_x_ite_ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, O, G, N, OO
ok DCC on board means that the locomotive already has the DCC decoder chip installed in it and is ready to run on a DCC layout. DCC ready means that the loco will only run on DC if i am correct as I due not own a DCC ready loco Just DCC onboard loco's. For these you must buy the decoder that you plug into the board that is already in the DCC ready loco, or you must solder the wires of the DCC decoders to certain parts of the DCC ready board. By the way that train set will be a very good set to buy as a begginer. I currently use the EZ-Command system and am perfectly happy with it but am going to upgrade to the Dynamis System as you can walk around the layout, program CV's (things that control things on the train), have many more loco's in the data bank, and have more than two locomotives running on the layout at one time without needing a booster. Dynamis is a 2.5 amp system=5 trains at one time. EZ-Command is 1 amp=2 trains at a time.
gc53dfgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Dannyt
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_x_ite_ment View Post
Realizing this, I would probably go with flex track (3' flexible sections that provide great freedom in designing your own layout).

I know this seems like a lot to process. You can always expand if you start small, but sometimes it is nice to think a little further down the road! Best of luck!

Chad
I saw flex track at the store and really like it. My dad is afraid that he'll have to wire and to solder it and it will be to much work. That's why I like EZ ttrack.