Polar Express Smoke - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Mr-T
Hobo

Polar Express Smoke

Does anyone else have trouble getting the PE locomotive to smoke? I checked the button to make sure it was on and I can see a tiny bit come out at times but you can barely see it when it is moving. I have the O gauge version of Lionel's set and it says it was manufactured in August 2010. Any suggestions?
Mr-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: HO ... and growing Lionel O
I don't have much experience with modern smoke units, but I understand that you do NOT want to overfill them with smoke fluid. Any chance that could be your problem? Just a few drops should be fine.

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
You can't overdo the fluid. To get a good puff the air hole needs to be open. A cleaning may be in order. Other than making sure it has current all you can do is rebuild it or replace it. Lionel should have some technical information on smoke unit care.

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
overlander
Hobo

I have one of these too , and I have the same problem . I didn't even know those switches were back there until you mentioned them . So , thanks for that . I've put oil in mine several times trying to get it to smoke . ( If a little is good , a lot must be better . Right ? ) So now I'll try cleaning it out and get back to this thread on Sunday . If it works for you , please let us know . Cliff
overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
overlander
Hobo

I checked my engine out today . Looking in the smokestack I can see an open hole in the rear and what appeared to be a fibrous material in the front half . I didn't see much of a way to clean it out , so I decided to take the train body off . The assembler stripped out one of the screw heads , so I had to drill it out . Now it's only held together with three screws . Might be hard to find one to fit , but the threads are fine . Taking it apart didn't help though . I couldn't do much more that way , than together . It was interesting to see inside anyway . Now it's back together , sans screw , and runs fine , but still doesn't smoke and the whistle is still barely audible . Cliff
Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
Mr-T
Hobo

I have to say I'm disappointed with this train. Besides the smoke (or lack thereof) it seems to have a weak motor. We have a set-up with graduated trestle and it barely can go up the elevated sections and once it heads down it seems to be a run-away train. My MTH trains are nice and steady the whole way (both up and down). I would consider this particular train set to be many people's introduction into the hobby or at least into Lionel trains so you would think they would put out a better unit in order to get the repeat business. I can say I will seriously reconsider buying a Lionel locomotive again.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
overlander
Hobo

I feel your pain Mr. T . My engine runs great , but I don't have any hills . I am disappointed with both the smoke and the whistle , but frankly , I knew I was buying a new Lionel instead of an old one . Their new cars are crap too . I bought a caboose that has the front truck held on and swiveling with just a cruddy plastic push pin , but I have a train for now and will hit the train shows and join a local club here in northeast Indiana , and as money allows , I'll replace this new junk with old quality . It's been a real learning experience for me . Cliff
Old 12-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
md63
Hobo

I just got the PE for Christmas and mine has an August 2010 manufacturing date. I get smoke coming from the unit but it doesn't seem very strong. I'm also having minor issues with going up slight inclines. I have a couple of bridge accessories which lie under the track and cause a slight incline. If I try to run the train very slow it will tend to stop in those areas. Slightly faster speed and I have no problem.
md63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
overlander
Hobo

Last night I finally said the heck with it and dumped a bunch of the smoke oil into my engine , and darned if it didn't start smoking . Not a lot of smoke mind you , but enough . Do you need to do this on new engines , then just add a few drops after that ? Cliff
Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Mr-T
Hobo

Thanks for the update. If you had to guess, how many drops do you think you put in there?

Tags
smoke unit problem