What do the letters/numbers mean on the Diesel engines? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
strongestfaith1
Hobo

What do the letters/numbers mean on the Diesel engines?

I'm just getting started in HO scale trains and need to know what the letters and numbers signify when purchasing, ie. B23; GP40; etc.?
strongestfaith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Bangor and Aroostook
Hobo

I've been using Wikipedia a lot. Do a search for b23 diesel wiki or gp40 diesel wiki or any other type engine you want to research and you'll get hours of reading entertainment. Included are specs, number of units built, the rail lines the original units were sold to and more. Great informational resource.

Oh, and FYI while I'm here, it was Wikipedia that told me that a BL2 was designated as a Branch Line engine, nicknamed "The Ugly Duckling" and was the predecessor of the GP7, etc., units.

Last edited by Bangor and Aroostook; 04-17-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Bangor and Aroostook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Zeus-cat
Gang Labourer

They are model numbers of the real locomotives. The GP40 is the EMD GP40, a 4-axle diesel-electric locomotive built by General Motors.

Bangor and Aroostook gave good advice; use the net to do a bunch of research if you need to know all of the details.
Zeus-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: HO ... and growing Lionel O
Strong,

I raised a similar question a while back. A few members offered some very helpful links, per the thread below ...

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=5252

Cheers,

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Massey
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO and Lego
To drop some basics here each manufacturer has thier own system but they are similar. GE's number relates to the HP of the prime mover, EMD relates to the Locomotive Series.

EMD uses a prefix to deisgnate the loco's job and axle setup GP= General Purpose 4 axle, SD= Special Duty 6 Axle. GE uses the older B and C designation "B" for 2 axle trucks and "C" for 3 axle trucks.

At the end of the designation is specific model info such as wide cab, or AC traction or variant info. Here is an example.

SD70= Special Duty, (6 axle) 70 Series Locomotive, DC Traction motors
SD70M= Special Duty, (6 axle) 70 Series Locomotive, DC Traction motors, Wide Cab("M")
SD70MAC= Special Duty, (6 axle) 70 Series Locomotive, AC Traction motors, Wide Cab("M")
SD70ACe= Special Duty, (6 axle) 70 Series Locomotive, AC Traction motors, Meets EPA regulations, (No cab designation since the wide cab is the only one available on this model)
SD70M-2= Special Duty, (6 axle) 70 Series Locomotive, DC Traction motors, Wide Cab("M") Second Version, (Looks like the SD70ACe but with DC traction motors.

GE looks like this
8-40C= Series 8 (or Dash 8), 4000 HP Prime Mover, "C" Trucks (3 axle)
8-40CW= Series 8 (or Dash 8), 4000 HP Prime Mover, "C" Trucks (3 axle), Wide Cab
8-40B= Series 8 (or Dash 8), 4000 HP Prime Mover, "B" Trucks (2 axle)(Amtrack used these engines)
9-44CW= Series 9 (or Dash 9), 4400 HP Prime Mover, "C" Trucks (3 axle), Wide Cab

Hope this helps you understand the engine designations

Massey
Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
norgale
Station Master

Scales Modeled: ho
Massey you seem to know your engines pretty well. I have to study up on this stuff as the letters and numbers confuse me too. Good info there. Thanks for posting it. Pete
norgale is offline   Reply With Quote