Kitbashing Mr Roger's Neighborhood Trolley? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Artieiii
Dispatcher

Kitbashing Mr Roger's Neighborhood Trolley?

I want to try my hand at a simple kitbashing project. Here is my Idea: Buy a Bachmann cable car like this (about $25):

modify/fabricate it to look similar to this:

Since I don't own a Bachmann cable car I am not sure how much the engine/chassis comes up into the cab of the car which might interfere with the seats. Any suggestions?
-Art
Artieiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Artieiii
Dispatcher

The roof looks close enough to my eye....I think a dremel with a cut off wheel would work. the seats are very simple in design as well as the vertical poles and front and rear should be easy to replicate. The rooftop sign also looks easy to make. My LHS carries plastic and brass poles.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
shaygetz

Scales Modeled: HO, HOn30, N
Send a message via Yahoo to shaygetz
The Bachmann cars are motorized in the open seat section, it is self contained and clips out, much like a battery pack. The one you see pulled thru the neighborhood on his show was kitbashed from an old TYCO HO trolley. It was not motorized like the larger one and was pulled across the set via a fishing line attached to a stick under the set. The builder did this because there was no way to motorize it without interfering with the seats.

My website... http://bobsmodelworks.com/. My old website will be finding its way there as well...
shaygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
tkruger
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
I do not know if this would work but here are a few ideas I have. Is it possible to hide an N scale drive line in there just add larger wheels? What about steeling a truck from a Bachmann 40 tonner? I have one and it has a separate motor for each truck.
tkruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
shaygetz

Scales Modeled: HO, HOn30, N
Send a message via Yahoo to shaygetz
I don't see why that drive won't work, you would just loose the see-thru effect, but only from the seat bottom down. It would probably take two cable car bodies to make one long enough---however---that second body can be one of these...

The castings are the same as the Bachmann ones (pirated?).

My website... http://bobsmodelworks.com/. My old website will be finding its way there as well...
shaygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Artieiii
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkruger View Post
I do not know if this would work but here are a few ideas I have. Is it possible to hide an N scale drive line in there just add larger wheels? What about steeling a truck from a Bachmann 40 tonner? I have one and it has a separate motor for each truck.
tkruger,
Not sure exactly what you mean by a "Bachmann 40 tonner". Can you send me a link to show me what you mean or a picture of yours with and without the body?
I am sure an N scale drive line would fit in there but the wheels would be too narrow for the HO scale tracks plus the wheels would be really tiny. I'm not sure how to make that idea work.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will stop at my LHS on sunday and ask the owner if he has any suggestions.
-Art
Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Artieiii
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
The Bachmann cars are motorized in the open seat section, it is self contained and clips out, much like a battery pack. The one you see pulled thru the neighborhood on his show was kitbashed from an old TYCO HO trolley. It was not motorized like the larger one and was pulled across the set via a fishing line attached to a stick under the set. The builder did this because there was no way to motorize it without interfering with the seats.
Shaygetz,
If the motorized unit is narrow enough I might be able to make the seats go from the outer edge of the car up to to motor unit on each side. That might work. The seats would not go all the way across the car but that would still give me the open air look I am after. At $25 for a Bachmann trolley car, it might be worth a try. It would be nice to wire up a headlight and tail light as well as lights in the roof below the "Neighborhood Trolley" sign. Thanks for your suggestions.
-Art
Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Artieiii
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkruger View Post
Is this what you mean tkruger (Bachmann SD-40-2)?

That could work with a cable car body modified to look like the Mr Rogers trolley.
-Art
Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
tkruger
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artieiii View Post
Is this what you mean tkruger (Bachmann SD-40-2)?

That could work with a cable car body modified to look like the Mr Rogers trolley.
-Art
I miss typed, It is a 44, not 40. The following link has a variety of them: http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/Bachma...44Ton_Page.htm. They were sold in both dual and single motor versions. My is currently packed away since I am re doing the switch yard area.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
tkruger
Dispatcher

Sorry, I linked to an N scale page. The HO looks the same.