Cleaning(burnishing) Old Track..... - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 10-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
big ed
Railroad Baron

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn View Post
While I don't doubt that's what he rightfully should charge, I have a problem sending out a couple hundred track pieces when I could have the wheel for the price. It's also pretty expensive to ship a lot of track, it's heavy!
Your right on that.

It looks like a soft buffing wheel.
You would need a slow speed drill to run it.
Maybe it is a buffing wheel with some kind of polish soaked/penetrated into it.

big ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
I think it's a pretty solid material, but it must last for a long time for them to get $75-$100 for them!
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
Stillakid
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S & O, N-Scale
I think that when you take into consideration that not everyone has a shop, or even perhaps the skills to do this, it's not a bad deal. I have over 250 pcs of track that needs cleaning. Since I don't want any of the new style track, or Gargraves, for me, it makes sense.

Did any of you read or watch his video? That pad doesn't look like it some light weight material. If I can get one for $70-80, IMHO, it would be more than adequate to meet all my needs
Stillakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #14
Reckers
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: S Scale and N scale suitcase train!
Jim, as you may recall, I used to work in silver---sterling silver, as opposed to nickel silver. Nickel silver is a misnomer, as it contains no silver at all: "The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc." It's also called German Silver. So, if you break it down to a simple metal polishing system, you need a polisher that will handle those three metals and polish, rather than strip them: a soft-metal buffing compound.

Since I was polishing a lot of metal, I went to Walmart and bought a two-wheel grinder. A large screwdriver and a wrench allowed me to remove the wheels in about 5 minutes; the same nuts and washers allowed me to mount buffing wheels in their place. If you mount one of these puppies on one wheel (http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?s...lerid=23032500) and this one on the other (http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...:referralID=NA), all you'd then need is a polishing compound. I'd recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/POLISHING-COMP...ata/B000HYKBU8

Zam is a professional polish for silver and soft stones like turquoise. A slightly coarser polish is jewelers rouge for the tough customers: http://www.amazon.com/oz-Jewelers-Ro.../dp/B0009SOB9O

The important thing is to not mix your buffing compounds on the same wheel. If you really get into it, you'll want a tapered arbor for each metal shaft of your grinder: https://www.swmetal.com/cart/search?...d%20Extensions

The arbors need to be left-hand/right hand for opposite sides of the wheel, so as to spin tighter instead of unwinding as the motor spins the shaft. The tapered arbors allow you to grab the buffing wheel and sort of unscrew it from the arbor by hand, negating the need for tools to swap wheels---you might want to use a clean, soft wheel to get all your polishing compount off the rails. At some point, you may decide to run these all through the washer and dryer to renew your wheels. This can be done, and leaves gunk all over the washer tub for you to take out with Googone or similar cleaner!

Best wishes,
Len
Old 10-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
AZ-Flyer
Hobo

Scales Modeled: "S" Gauge
Well I guess I have to register and give my side as long as I started this information on the Tycro wheel. I used this process for over 20 years in the orthopedic field. It works great on $40,000 artificial legs and $10,000 orthopedic braces, so I guess it would work on a section $4.99 train track. But you can use what ever you want to use. We did this twenty years ago. I'm just trying to give what works for us in the best way. You can E-mail me with any questions. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. My mail box is getting full!

http://sgaugers.blogspot.com/p/burni...ain-track.html

Last edited by AZ-Flyer; 10-17-2011 at 11:55 PM.
AZ-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:10 AM   #16
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Here's a place that has all the buffing wheels and compound you'd ever need, and their prices seem a lot better than some of the other references.

PJ Tool & Supply- Hard to Find Tools. Harder to Beat Prices.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Flyer View Post
Well I guess I have to register and give my side as long as I started this information on the Tycro wheel. I used this process for over 20 years in the orthopedic field. It works great on $40,000 artificial legs and $10,000 orthopedic braces, so I guess it would work on a section $4.99 train track. But you can use what ever you want to use. We did this twenty years ago. I'm just trying to give what works for us in the best way. You can E-mail me with any questions. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. My mail box is getting full!

http://sgaugers.blogspot.com/p/burni...ain-track.html
The problem here is the entry price of over $130 for the wheel! It's pretty easy to justify that for $40,000 items, not so much for a pile of cheap train track.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #18
Reckers
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: S Scale and N scale suitcase train!
CHEAP TRACK???? Sir, I beg to differ! By the time you take that 6' oval and add 50 additional pieces of rolling stock, 5 steamers and 4 diesels, 24 buildings and a series of upgrades in transformers, wiring, lighting, sound, take over the living room for the expanded layout, pay off the now ex-wife for the divorce, remarry with a woman you only recognize by her pin-striped coveralls and install the beer refrigerator, you're up to about $1000/linear foot! Polish those puppies!!! Treat them like royalty!

And AZ-Flyer, welcome to the forum. Please don't feel attacked or the need to defend the service you're offering; we're just DIY addicts and are always looking for cheaper alternatives. It's nice to have you join us!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: HO ... and growing Lionel O
AZ-Flyer,

Thanks for chiming in. You're most welcome here on our forum. Respectful debate and exchange of information is a good thing ... we all can learn from the dialog.

Cheers,

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #20
AZ-Flyer
Hobo

Scales Modeled: "S" Gauge
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckers View Post
CHEAP TRACK???? Sir, I beg to differ! By the time you take that 6' oval and add 50 additional pieces of rolling stock, 5 steamers and 4 diesels, 24 buildings and a series of upgrades in transformers, wiring, lighting, sound, take over the living room for the expanded layout, pay off the now ex-wife for the divorce, remarry with a woman you only recognize by her pin-striped coveralls and install the beer refrigerator, you're up to about $1000/linear foot! Polish those puppies!!! Treat them like royalty!

And AZ-Flyer, welcome to the forum. Please don't feel attacked or the need to defend the service you're offering; we're just DIY addicts and are always looking for cheaper alternatives. It's nice to have you join us!
I don't feel attacked, or having to defend my service.
And I'm the first to look for the cheapest way to do something, if it can save me time and money in the long run.
Like they say in the Service: "There is the Right Way, the Wrong Way and Your Way"

Thanks for the welcome.

Az-Flyer
AZ-Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote