HO DC engine buzz on DCC track - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource  

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
KennyK
Hobo

HO DC engine buzz on DCC track

Can anyone tell me if there is anything that can be done to quiet the buzz sound from a DC diesel engine running on a DCC track? I have 2 Bachmann controllers (one for DCC and the other for DC) connected together with the Bachmann cable. The DCC diesel engine are very quiet, but the DC diesel engines I recently bought work good, but buzz when stilling still.

Thanks
KennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Massey
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO and Lego
That is what they do when they are on DCC. There is nothing you can do and you should not leave a DC engine on a DCC track when not in use. The DCC system puts about 14V AC to the rails at all times. The DC engine is picking up this 14V and it is going right to the motor. This causes the motor to vibrate at the freq of the DCC system, and since current is passing through the motor the motor is generating heat.

A DC engine can run on DCC tracks do to a feature called 0 streaching. What happens is the DCC command station sends a long packet of 0s down one of the rails. This packet of 0s changes the potential between the rails for a few microseconds which is enough time to cause the DC motor to move. The frequency of the packets and the rail they are send down is what changes the direction and speed of a DC loco on DCC tracks.

Massey
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Owner of the South Massey Railway.
Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
deboardfam
Conductor

Toss a decoder in it if its possible. :-)
deboardfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
tankist
פעם שריונר

Scales Modeled: HO
install decoder, ASAP
tankist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
NIMT
Yard Master

Yes what you do to quiet it is install a decoder!!!! Like yesterday

Last edited by NIMT; 10-27-2011 at 02:27 PM.
NIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: HO ... and growing Lionel O
Massey had a good explanation of the "zero stretching" signal that's used to let a DC loco operate on a DCC signal. That said, this is a dangerous work-around, and may ultimately fry your DC motor. I'd shy away from doing this.

Here's some DCC / zero stretching background ...

http://www.loystoys.com/info/how-dcc-works.html

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
jcanfield
Hobo

This is interesting. I had wondered the exact same thing with mine.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, O, G, N, OO
I explained this over in the DCC section but DCC does not use DC current like DC which is DC current compared to DCCs AC current. The zero strecthing is what allows DC to work on DCC and I kind of hate how Bachmann says it is okay to run a DC engine on a DCC system because it will destroy the engine a lot quicker.

I have a stickied thread over in the DCC section that describes DCC isntalls into a bunch of locomotive some of them are Bahcmann Diesels like a GP 35/39 I think if I remember correctly. which that layout is the same for every current day bachmann engine. I think I have also added in a new one on doing installs on a Bachmann pancake motor PCC trolley which is similar to any bachmann pancake motored engines. I even have a DCC pre isntalled engine from bachmann I did an install on and they are exactly the same as the DC versions except for the board. I used a stock Digitrax HO size decoder but you can get simple drop in replacement boards for them so you do not have to cut into the shell like I did.

Of course I can always install the decoder for you if installing it yourself is not to your liking.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Rookie2008
Hobo

Bumping this thread. Hi guys , I'm new here an know nothing about adding decoders. How much do you charge to ad DCC to my DC locomotives? 1 is Amtrak F40PH DC an the other is Union Pacific DD40X DC. Thanks.

Mark
Rookie2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
rrgrassi
Dispatcher

Mark, cost also depends on the brand or layout of the locomotive. Like, what type of motor? Is the locomotive all wheel drive or a single truck driven? The FP's were made really cheap, all the way to fairly expensive. That is where brand comes in.
rrgrassi is offline   Reply With Quote