Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource (https://www.modeltrainforum.com/index.php)
-   O Scale (https://www.modeltrainforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Confused about size variances in O gauge? Then look here! (https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=5126)

Boston&Maine 11-13-2010 09:23 PM

Confused about size variances in O gauge? Then look here!

Anyone who has looked into the world of O gauge has discovered that there are many sizes. Below are some photographs that I hope will help outline what will size-up with what.
  1. For reference, the MTH Premier Line is 1:48 scale, which is the definition of O scale. All products in the Atlas Big O, Atlas Master, Atlas Trainman, K-Line O Scale, Lionel Standard O, and Weaver lines are also 1:48 scale and match the size of the MTH Premier Line car shown below.
  2. It appears that the Atlas Industrial Rail, K-Line O-27, Lionel Traditional, and MTH Rugged Rails product lines are equal in size and would be classified as being O-27 gauge.
  3. As the pictures show, the MTH Railking Line falls between O scale and O-27 gauge. In fact, there are even three categories within this product line - Railking, Railking Imperial, and Railking Scale. More about this can be read here.
Credit for the images below belongs to a gentleman named Sean from another forum. He did a great job showing the differences :thumbsup:

tjcruiser 11-13-2010 10:30 PM

B&M,

Thanks for the info. Interesting comparison. That's "my guys" in that last pic ... prewar tinplate Lionel ... baby O ... ohh baby, ohh baby!

TJ

Big Ed 11-14-2010 10:15 AM

And the model house in the back ground looks like a real house too.:thumbsup:

servoguy 11-14-2010 02:08 PM

The model house in the background looks like a photograph.
Bruce Baker

gunrunnerjohn 11-21-2010 10:06 AM

I guess they were going for "biggest on the block" with the MTH Premier line. :D

zipper69 12-15-2010 12:52 AM

Finally some scale in a visual format. Thanks!

ceilingtrains.com 12-19-2010 06:54 PM

Thats great. I have customers that want the largest O Scale cars for my ceilingtrains bridges i build and i just don't have all the answers so now i know too. Thanks...Bob

T-Man 12-20-2010 07:12 AM

The picture has a lot of great shadows. It must of been taken late afternoon or the early morning. Plus the fact that it is blown up for a backdrop. Good Find!

joe7034 06-09-2011 09:27 AM

Thanks for the help with the scale, now lets talk about the wheels, are the prewar lionel wheels deeper than the post war? or is that the diffence between true O and O-27.
My pre war trains run fine on the fast track until they come up to a switch or accessory track, the rails are not deep enough for the wheels.
thanks
joe

servoguy 06-10-2011 09:59 PM

The flanges on the prewar wheels are larger than the flanges on the post war wheels. The prewar crossings don't work well with postwar cars, and vice-versa. The crossing carry the same part number, so you have to test them. I haven't tried 022 switches.